Sign in to follow this  

Any one Care for a cam chain?

Over the last couple of months my engine has began to make a rattle sound, at first i thought it was valve clearances, but they were fine. The rattle sounds alot like the cam chain and occurs at idle, when the bikes been running at higher rpm's.

So maybe the pre tensioners out of adjustment, which means the chains worn out to? Or could it be stuck and not tensioning the chain proply?

If i was to take the 2, 8mm head bolts out of the tensioner and inspect it, would i be able to get it back in, or is it something that needs the chain out of the engine??

Thanks guys

When the chain is rattling, it is worn out and needs replaced. The tensioner is spring loaded. When the chain is stretched to a certain point, the tensioner runs out of travel and cannot hold the chain tight. I have seen posts on the forum about worn out tensioners, but in my experience with many XR engines, I have not seen one.

The cam chain was the culprit for me when I was getting noise from the top end and my valves were in spec.

I replaced the chain, cam sprocket and the tensioner arm when I did mine. Supposedly you can use a CRF cam chain, which is beefier and costs considerably less than the XR one. I didn't know that at the time. Click here.

thanks for that, im a bit cinicy about it being worn as the bikes only done 5000 miles, could it stilll be the problem though? If i was to replace with the 02 450 chain, would the cam sprockets have to be changed, or would it wear the chain down quicker if i wasnt to replace them as a set????

thanks

If i was to replace with the 02 450 chain, would the cam sprockets have to be changed, or would it wear the chain down quicker if i wasnt to replace them as a set????

thanks

You wouldn't need to change the sprockets. The CRF chain is a little wider but the stock cam sprockets work fine with it. If you plan to change out the cam chain you will also need to order a rightside crankcase gasket and a new clutch basket nut.