Sign in to follow this  

Slight knocking noise, and oil not flowing

I have just resently installed new intake valves. It took me about a week or two to get all the parts and lapping compound etc. Now, today i finished rebuilding the thing and started it up, and there was a slight knocking noise. So i used a stethascope and found that it was coming from the camshaft/cam chain side. Also, (long story short) while I had the cam chain off i marked where the sprocket punk mark was with a piece of real sticky patching tape cause i didnt have any chalk. Then a stupid kid came to my house while i was working on it and grabbed the piece of tape and it fell into the oil pan area. I couldnt find anything to grab it with and it sank to the bottom.

Back to today: Ive noticed that the oil isnt flowing in the crankcase because usually you can see a little bit of oil stirring in the sight glass. Ive drained the oil and it came out white and refilled the oil+new oil filter twice, and it is repeating the same knocking and oil flow problems.

Can someone please help me before I wreck the thing even more?

Thanksss

Is the piece of tape still in your oil pan??

What kind of valves did you install?

Stainless or OEM?

Stainless are said to be louder...

Did you use lapping compound on OEM Ti valves?

Youve gotta get that piece of tape out of the motor before you start it again. Youll be lucky if you didnt destroy the bearings already. The tape is probably stuck on the oil pickup and not allowing the pump to scavenge= zero oil flow/pressure= $

I think youve already killed it though...at a minimum find that piece of tape and try it again, but dont be surprised if the knock doesnt go away. The knock is the connecting rod letting you know its getting ready to see the world, ya know, like the Alien in that movie when he jumps out of that guys chest...

I installed stainless steel Kibblewhite valves and i did use lapping compound. And as far as i know that tape is still in the oil pan. How can i get it out?

I dont think the knocking would be the connecting rod because its comming from the camshaft area.

I had a piece of zip tie fall into my crank a long time ago and it never caused me any issues. I guess the tape is light enought to move around with the oil.

. And as far as i know that tape is still in the oil pan. How can i get it out?

I dont think the knocking would be the connecting rod because its comming from the camshaft area.

remove the ignition cover just be careful not to tear the gasket. the tape could be blocking the pick up screen.