Sign in to follow this  

I need some help selecting a bike

Hi there. I am an old school 2 stroke rider that has been out of ridding for the last 15 years. I am 33 5'7 165lbs and would like help selecting a bike. I used to ride 125 2 strokes and now see that they are a thing of the past. I am interested in trail and motor cross riding. I will not be flying through the air like superman anymore but would like to be able to hit the track once in a while. I loved the power band on the old 2 strokes but think a 125 is to small and a 250 is to large so should I do a 4 stroke crf250r or something else. THanks for your help

Scott

well man all i can tell you is that im 35 6'1" @180 and i just got back into it after 15 years myself...i bought a crf250r and i dig it for sure...tons of power and torque but not enuf to scare the crap out of you...the suspension and brakes are amazing as well...a real caddy in the dirt

i used to race 125 2 strokes as well,since i have had yz 400,yz 426,yz 450,cr 450,rmz 450 and now crf 250.im 5'8" 205 and like the 250 way better on the track.i highly reccommend the 250f. :thumbsup:

if you are going to be doing a lot of trail riding with occasional track riding you might be better off with the 250x... just my thoughts

Is the 250X best for trials? In your opinion, why would the 250R not be suitable for the trails?

KTM 300 2 stroke, you'll be so stoked if you like the 2 stoke power! It's big enough to still be able to tractor on the bottom end and scream on top...check one out.

I ride an 08 CRF250r on the trails (sometimes). I can tell you I have a blast every time. It is a little stiff, but works. Other than the stiff suspension I love it off road. I'm partial to Motocross bikes, that's why I have an R. It's badd ass, revs to the moon in about 1/2 a second. The X seems to de-tuned for my tastes. They have heavy stainless valves in the head instead of Ti and a different cam + an air pump and all kinds of other shit (in my opinion) :D Get an R if you like to maintain your bike, get an X if you want to beat your ride and not change the airfilter and oil as often...and have about 10 lbs of extra shit...

go over to the KTM 2 Stroke board and ask them about the KTM200XC :worthy: the CRF250 is a good option to of course :D

If your going off road I'd stick to 2 stroke. If your going ot the track I'd get the 250F. It is about the easiest of the 250F's to ride as well. I have them both 2 and 4 stroke.

I am 40 and 185 pounds and have not ridden since the mid 80's. I got back into it 3 years ago.

Off road 2 stroke, track 250 4 stroke.

I'd at least suggest that you give a late model 250R a chance to prove what it can do to you. Do you think you could figure out how to get a quick ride on one?

My '07 250R is my first bike (all quads in the past) and I simply cannot believe how far the capability of these newer 4-stroke engines has come. 35+ HP from the factory is what some make, in case you didn't know. On top of that, the dry weight of my bike is 204 lbs.

I hope that helps somewhat.