Sign in to follow this  

WHAT A JOKE! - The Brown County Fair Race that is

What a Joke!

The Brown County Fair Race that is.

Nashville, Indiana

If your ever thinking of attending this race in the future, DON’T!

First of all $12.00 to get in the gate. They call it a pit pass. And you better make sure you have your wristband on, because I thought we were back in Germany the way they checked to see if you had your wristband on every 15 minutes. Then it was the normal $20.00 to race. So $32.00 to go to a hilljack fair motocross race. Yehaww!

So, we get there and decide to walk the track. What a joke! I think my 2 year old granddaughter could design and make a track better then those jokers did. The track was so narrow I don’t think you could have driven a Honda Civic around it.

It was time for practice. They gave us a clothes pin, and told us not to lose it, that’s how we get to practice and we must show it before practice. Practice, yea right. 5 laps on a small track, I think that took about 2 ½ minutes. Was there more then 1 practice session? Uh, no. Yehaww!

So, we had a riders meeting and the guy in charge was talking to the riders like we were back in kindergarden. Ok, boys and girls does everybody know what this yellow flag means? Yehaww! Oh, and everybody was going 4 laps on a 30 second track! At least that’s what you thought. It was obvious they didn’t like pit bike riders and had us last on the schedule. I was fearing as organized as it was I’d have another birthday before I got home, so I asked the guy in charge. “Hey, can we be the first race after intermission, because all us pit bike riders were old men who had to be at work early the next morning”? The answer…..No! Yehaww!

So after the rides meeting we starting racing and got 2 races in before the rain came. It poured down rain for about 5-7 minutes and it did rain quite a bit. I thought, good. Now it won’t be dusty since they failed to properly water the track prior to the event. And they had a hose on the track which they could have watered it easily. They did water it some prior to the event when I got there, but no where near what it should have been watered.

So since it was raining so hard they decided to stop the racing until it quit. That was ok, no problem since it looked like the rain was going to go away real soon which it did. Then the insanity continued. They get out the dozers and started to try and scrape the mud off the track. What a joke! They made it worse! After an hour of waiting for the dozers to make a total mess of the place, the rumor going around was they were only going to let us go around the outside of the track in an oval and we couldn’t do the inside of the track where all the jumps where. Course if they hadn’t had big dips right before the jumps in making them there probably wouldn’t be small ponds in front of all the jumps. What a joke!

Well, the rumor was true. When they started the races back up they were only using the outside part of the track bypassing the inside of the track. And guess what 3 laps. What a joke! $32.00 for 5 laps of practice and 3 laps for moto 1 and 3 laps in moto 2 on an oval with 1 jump in it. Yehaww! On top of the staff there being rude and argumentative.

I’ve been to a lot of races in my 44 Years of existence on this planet, and the Brown County Fair Race gets the award for the worst motocross/pit bike event EVER! Hands Down, and if your ever, ever remotely thinking of going to this race in the future, Shoot yourself first! Yehaww!

I have traveled through Nashville IN, and I believe you found some of the brighter souls that reside in that particular neck of the woods. Some of those "Good Ole Boys" get an idea set in their head, they get as stubborn as the mule that may be somewhere back in their family tree.

BUT-every fair race I've been to has been a hokey cluster :thumbsup: .

These promoters were probably demo derby types--they had absolutely no idea how to do a moto race.

There seemed to be way too many sheriff's deputies there seemingly looking for a fight. I saw a little boy--maybe four or five years old--end up on the wrong side of the ribbon (by maybe a foot) leading off the track to the pits (the ribbon was way above his head) and rather than gently tell the youngster to make his way back to the other side a deputy screamed at him "GET BACK ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE RIBBON!! YOU'RE NO BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE!!" The little fella didn't seem to even know what he'd done. Understand that the area he had gotten into wasn't where the racing took place but was an area where the racers pushed their bikes back to the pits.

Between the heavy handed deputies and the bozos putting on the event you can be sure I'll do everything to discourage future attendance by anyone I know!!! :thumbsup:

I know what you mean about those venues and events, but you have to remeber to the promoters its a show not a race so the only thing they are concerned about is putting butts in the seats. I race/helped organize a little indoor moto race (bikes and ATV's) conisiding with a monster truck show Checkered Flag Productions was the promoter. Worst experience I have ever dealt with we (the racers and staffing from the local bike dealer) were treated like extras and stage hands in an off broadway show. I realize the headliners were the 4 monster trucks so the area/track was built with them as the primary concern so the track was of course not real challenging, which is good considering most of the racers were joy(novice) riders anyway. But that is not what irked me, it was the fact that they did not respect us (and us being the sponsoring dealership and employees/volunteers organising the moto race part of it) They flat out took away the control over the time limit, schedule, heat races, and pit parking. Mind you this was just a "for fun" race, no payback just trophies to 3rd place. I think the main problem was that they underestimated the racer turnout that they got, 25 quads and 40 bikes. I can tell you after the show the crowd was more interested in trying to get into the pits for the quads and bikes racers for autographs than the monster truck drivers. Me and my buddies sign at least a dozen each and we are just jo-blow motorcycle riders.

This whole thread makes me appreciate what Nikki and Red went through putting on the Peotone race. Nothing in it for them in the end and their event was the total opposite of what you describe.

Shows what happens when the event is put on by racers, for racers.

HA, I was there dude! My bud won the 85 class there.

The bike race was just as bad as you described it, but did you happen to go watch the quads?

You see, the day before the bikes, they hold quad races (Motocross and drag). Those are run by Gearworx, a local ridin shop in Morgantown. Those guys actually ride, and it is pretty cool to go and watch. It is still just a fair race though.

However, when I have watched the bikes in the past, I thought the exact thing you did. The fairground guys dont know crap about MX.

Also, those guys REALLY enforce safety, because last year a kid got killed racing, FYI.

Yeah, I was there last year when the fellow lost his life in the quad race--we were there with the pit bikes and were going to be the half-time entertainment.

I served for eight years on the AMA D-15 (IN) board of directors and completely understand the problems of promotion and what the people who do it go through. The thing is, I suspect these people have very little if any experience with motorcycle racing. We were just another event they were contracted to do for the fair board.

Another problem I heard was that they had a "guaranteed purse" to pay all the "A" classes. A buddy signed up in the +30 A class and was later told they were just going to run +25 A only. Thinking quickly, he asked them if the money the fair board put up for this class would be applied to the +25 A class. The promoter just turned and walked away. I wonder where that money went?

There wasn't much that could have been done about the rain and resulting quagmire. It's equal for everybody and my thought is, Let's Race!!! The dozer work did nothing to improve it and likely hurt it. Not being able to run the infield section was a tremendous letdown as well. It is motocross, after all--aren't we supposed to get dirty?

I attended another bogus fair race in Wayne Co., KY and as mentioned a lot of fair races tend to be pretty much a joke. Not all, though--we went to one at the Newton Co. (IN) fair last year that was promoted by the Motoplex indoor facility and it rocked!!

Again all we can do is work for a change or boycott the event next year. I'm going to attempt to contact the fair board president and find out the story on the promoter of this disaster. When I learn more I'll let you know.

We missed it this year but the 2004 and 2005 fair race in Princeton, Ind. has been a good one. Nice layout, real dirt, long motos and very well organized. They ran a single moto "money bike" class halfway through the program. It lasted about 20 laps and had a number of very fast riders. It's one of the best fair races in the state.