Sign in to follow this  

Proper Break-In

The search is over! I picked up a new 06 450 for 5900 OTD yesterday. Can anyone recommend the best break-in procedure? Also, how vital is it to check the valves after the break-in period?

There is a race scheduled for Sunday, so I was going to break it in tonight and race on Sunday. Thanks!

One thing I have heard you should always do is hit the brake disc very well with a scotchbrite pad and brake cleaner. There is some of kind of gunk on them from the factory to protect them on the boat ride over. Supposedly if you don't get it off before using the brakes it becomes permanently imbedded into your disc and decreases you brake function somewhat.

Ride it like you stole it is the break-in procedure

madday is correct,-----warm it up a high idle until it is pissing coolant on your boot so you at least get the coolant up to 175 degrees ( this is still to cold but this is a discussion for another time )

and take that thing to the starting gate and just PIN it and go baby ,------this is the best thing you can do for it ,---it will love you for it .

then you might wait for 4 or 5 hrs of abuse and check your valves ,

i run them way tighter than the book says -----i like .003 .004 intake and .005 .007 exhaust max ----,

it is easier on the valve train ,

but you will love that dam thing :thumbsup:

Before you ever ride it:

1. Take it apart and grease everything. When I picked up my 06 this was the first thing I did. I was amazed at how little grease there was in the bearings (swing arm, steering stem, shock linkage)

2. Take the time to check your valve clearance now. You'll never know how much they are changing if you don't know where they started.

3. Definitely Clean the brake rotors with brake cleaner. If you don't they wont work as good or last as long and will likely squeak under light stopping conditions.

When I broke in my '06 I used the suggestions at http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Basically warmed it up, ran it hard for three 15 minute motos, allowing it to cool between each. Changed the oil (motor and tranny) and filter after the third moto.

i run them way tighter than the book says -----i like .003 .004 intake and .005 .007 exhaust max ----,

it is easier on the valve train

Could you explain in a little detail please?