Sign in to follow this  

How hard is it to make a DRZSM "strong"?

Ok, I am pulling my hair out trying to find an SM for the street. Here is where I stand right now:

-Test drove a DRZ. Loved everything about the bike but the power.

-Test drove an XR650L with intentions of converting it. Loved everything about the bike but the power, brakes, and cost of SM conversion

-Havent test drove a 625SMC, but I i know they make lots of power, which is what I am looking for. However, i am not looking for their high price tag, or maintenance rituals.

Soooo, I have to ask, what would it take to make the DRZSM stronger than it is stock. I mean noticeably stronger. Will it ever be as fast or strong as a 625SM??

How about this, if I did a pipe, jetting, and went a tooth down in the front, what would that do for it?

Sorry for the 10 million questions, I'm just trying to make the right choice.

There are a thousand posts about this you can find by using the search function. In short, an FCR39 carb, full exhaust, and 3X3 mod make a night & day difference on the DRZ. The KTM hp numbers stock aren't any more impressive than the DRZ. I don't know what it makes when modified. Perhaps ktmtalk.com can answer that. A heavily modded DRZ is still probably less expensive than a stock KTM.

There are a thousand posts about this you can find by using the search function. In short, an FCR39 carb, full exhaust, and 3X3 mod make a night & day difference on the DRZ. The KTM hp numbers stock aren't any more impressive than the DRZ. I don't know what it makes when modified. Perhaps ktmtalk.com can answer that. A heavily modded DRZ is still probably less expensive than a stock KTM.[/quote

Just a little reminder,the KTM 625smc is restricted heavily,which means you

have to do an airbox mod,re-jet,and open up exhaust for any serious power.

Ask my buddy ,who I was a bit jealous of until I rode his,and ran his thru the paces w/my 440 02' DRZ E model. :thumbsup:

The KTM hp numbers stock aren't any more impressive than the DRZ. I don't know what it makes when modified. Perhaps ktmtalk.com can answer that. A heavily modded DRZ is still probably less expensive than a stock KTM.

:thumbsup:

I believe that the KTM power #'s do surpass those of the 400SM. You are looking at 56% more displacemnt and it comes stock with a 41mm FCR-MX. The KTM site lists torque #'s only and it is at 41KN - (finish my thought)

The last sentence I agree with - 550 (fcr), 300 (cams), 400 (exhaust), 50 (E base gasket) - after this, you are still less than the KTM - but will you have more power? I don't think so - but I bet Eddie does.

:thumbsup:

I believe that the KTM power #'s do surpass those of the 400SM. You are looking at 56% more displacemnt and it comes stock with a 41mm FCR-MX. The KTM site lists torque #'s only and it is at

The last sentence I agree with - 550 (fcr), 300 (cams), 400 (exhaust), 50 (E base gasket) - after this, you are still less than the KTM - but will you have more power? I don't think so - but I bet Eddie does.

I'm not familiar with the KTM, but I do know that just because the bike has a larger motor doesn't not necessarily mean it produces more power...look at the XR 600 pushin' something like 33hp??? if in doubt, ask Eddie!

blue = stock sm

red = duke 2 (same motor etc as 625sm) with 41mm fcr and akra full ti system

green = fully modified 475 stroker drz

DUKEVSTTVSSTSMHP.jpg

DUKEVSTTVSSTSMTQ.jpg

I'll sell you my 06SM, cause I want a 610 husky

has a slipper clutch and a big motor :applause:

if suzuki has a clue, a 650 'tard will be out by the fall :ride:

hint: re-read above message :applause:

yeah the DRZ is dependable...

but I'm 50 years old.

If I was 20-40...I'd have me one of those 600's

nothing beats cubic inches :applause:

but my 'tard sure does corner...yee-haw!!! :thumbsup:

I'll sell you my 06SM, cause I want a 610 husky

has a slipper clutch and a big motor :applause:

if suzuki has a clue, a 650 'tard will be out by the fall :ride:

hint: re-read above message :applause:

yeah the DRZ is dependable...

but I'm 50 years old.

If I was 20-40...I'd have me one of those 600's

nothing beats cubic inches :applause:

but my 'tard sure does corner...yee-haw!!! :thumbsup:

I do have me one of those 600's, an 04 GSXR600 to be exact. I dont like that you cant use more than 30% of it on the street, and I really dont like the prospect of aborting mission at 130mph. That and the insurance :applause:

I love the power, but hate the danger.

WOW! I apologize! Thanx for the info Eddie. I thought I had read somewhere that the stock KTM hp was in the 30's. Are those figures with an otherwise stock motor? Was the throttle stop mod done? This really has me thinking. I was going to keep my DRZ and put in the big bore, cams etc. I love the bike and it's much better now with the FCR, RS3, & 3x3. But there's a 625SMC at my local dealer. I had no idea it made that much more power. I will now have to seriously consider selling the Z.

blue = stock sm

red = duke 2 (same motor etc as 625sm) with 41mm fcr and akra full ti system

green = fully modified 475 stroker drz

DUKEVSTTVSSTSMHP.jpg

DUKEVSTTVSSTSMTQ.jpg

Thanks for the info, Eddie :thumbsup:

If you dont mind, could you define "fully modified"?

I have not ridden a fully modified DRZ... but I have ridden a stock Husky TE510 and it has ungodly power. Nothing could come close to sticking with it at the drag area of the sand dunes. It doesn't just have peak HP either, that thing will pull in any gear at any speed and beg for more. Its just scary fast.

Clearly the KTM will be faster dependant on gearing then the DRZ despite the fact that the peak # on the DRZ is higher. The DRZ has a much broader curve. The curve on the KTm is very narrow...but very tourqey and powerful. At 5000 RPM the KTM is ahead by about 12-13 HP. The tourque #s support that.

The KTM is clearly running our of breath early reaching it's peak at about 6500 RPM and falling off the cliff after that.

I'd bet the answers you are looking for is in the"TT 475 DRZ" review @ the top of the Forums list.

The curve on the KTm is very narrow...but very tourqey and powerful.

This was my thought also when I had an opportunity to try buddys 625SXC. At low RPM its not powerful at all, midrange is superb but top-end is kind of flat.

the duke 2 in the graph is derestricted and has a full ti akra system.other wise stock.

its 625 cc's.if they didnt make at least big TQ they would be useless.

they vibrate like a paint shaker though.

+5mm stroke

+4mm bore

RHC cams

RHC big valve cylider head (exstensively ported)

41mm fcr-mx carb

yosh ti pipe

I think that will be my next bike as long as they dont vibrate like a KTM 625

SMC :thumbsup:

they vibrate like a paint shaker though.

Thanks for a good laugh Eddie

Mine is not as heavily moded as what he has listed above but it is alot of fun.