Sign in to follow this  

exshuast for the wr 250 06 model

i have had my wr for about 3 months now and still have the original exhuast from factory and only just got the jetting right finally thanks to the trailbike mag now looking at getting after market exshaust to give me better chance of keeping up with my dads ktm 525exc and my next door neigbours rm250 2 stroke ne help would be appreciated thanks in advance.

I cant help with exhaust, but I am interested what jetting issues you had, and what you did to overcome them, as I have the dreaded off idle bog unloaded and a rougth spot between 1/8 and 1/4 throttle during mild exceleration. Thanks.

aahh the dreaded jetting problem my dad and i took this issue with the dealer that sold me the bike, they were under the impression that, that was the way things were with the wr 250. yeah right!!! ours was the same and fuel consumption was woefull. (used 30%more then my dads ktm 525 exc 05 model) so after the dearler had for one day and sincerely tried to help actually made it richer which simply moved the problem to a different spot which made the bike use more fuel than it already was. we stumbled accross an article in a magazine that tested the bike and couldnt even ride it with the standard jetting!!! so yamaha brisbane spent one day with their mechanic and this is the jetting they have come up with: pilot 40, leak jet 70, main jet is 168 and the jet needle oberp part no. 5um-14916-ep, and fourth clip from the top. grey ignition wire disconnected. some thing they also did that i havent done yet is modified the exaust restrictor. now it starts, iddles, and pulls cleanly and uses a hell of a lot less fuel which says a lot. i've seen a lot of jetting setups which seem very rich but dont know what the size and shape of the needles they use, most of them jd needles. what worries me and my dad (fitter and turner) is that continual rich settings cause all sorts of problems down the track, ie: dead sparkpluggs, bore wash, (which is bad for rings). and oil contamination.

motoman 87,

Settings might look rich, but that is what is needed for the carby to be efficient.

If you replace the exhaust with something like a gyt-r muffler or mx pipe, you will gain a whole lot of bottom through to top. Bottom end gains are most noticable.

drop your gearing to 13/49 or 13/48, and you will be able to do 150km/h quite easily, and the engine will actually be able to pull it!