Sign in to follow this  

Handlebars askew? How to actually tighten?

My brother dropped my bike a few weeks ago. Bars are not bent but they are askew to the right. When it first happened, I was able to stradle the front tire and twist the bars back to center (like you used to do to your bike as a kid :thumbsup: ). But since then, there have been a couple small drops of the bike that keep knocking the handle bars askew. I thought I tightened them down, but I think Im not tightening the right thing or the right combination of things......

Is it the bars in relation to the top clamp or is it the forks in relation to the tire and top clamp/bar?

when that happens 2 me i take the front tire off and the front fender(2 make sure everything is aligned), loosen the triple clamp pinch bolts, the bar mounts and the handle bar clamps. re-install the tire and torque the pinch bolts and make sure the everything is lined up and tighten the bar mounts then the handle bar mounts.

The bar mounts are most likely twisted in the top clamp. Loosen the two nuts under the top clamp and straighten it out and retighten. :thumbsup:

I have Rental bars and thought they were bend. My buddy said it was almost impossible to bend them and suggested looking for another reason that they were off. After trying the above suggestions, nothing helped. Finally I loosened the handlebar crossbar and POP! They straightened out. I guess during a crash, the bars got tweaked and the crossbar held the crooked shape.

Good info Boomman!

Yep, that makes complete sense. I ran right down to try that - but alas it wasnt the answer. I did completey loosed the handle bar calmps bottom nuts and had my wife bull back on the left side (which evened the bars up) while I retightened it.

Thanks guys!

This sounds like a classic case of the rubber in the triple clamps getting squashed? It happens to me all the time. All I do is pull the bars off, pull the rubber out of the triple clamps and simply put everything back together. The first time it happened to me, I thought my bars were toast. It was just the rubber mounts in the triple clamps.

Let me know if that's what it is and good luck.

This sounds like a classic case of the rubber in the triple clamps getting squashed? It happens to me all the time. All I do is pull the bars off, pull the rubber out of the triple clamps and simply put everything back together. The first time it happened to me, I thought my bars were toast. It was just the rubber mounts in the triple clamps.

Let me know if that's what it is and good luck.

Thanks Weez. that was kind of it. While I didnt take everything apart, I loosed them, pulled the left bar back some while retightening. If it comes back I will disassemble. I did think the bars were somehow bent at first :thumbsup:

Same thing happened to me. But one of my bar mounts bolt was bent. :ride: I straighten up the bolt and the handlebar was back in place. It still looked bent so I loosened and replace the handlebar crossbar and now it looks fixed. :thumbsup:

probably just twisted the mounts.. whenever i fall the mounts will twist on me and i have to loosten up the bolts and bang the bars with a mallet.

Hey guys. I did loosen and readjust the bar mounts and visually thought all was well. But its amazing how even being a tiny bit off is noticeable riding! I am slightly off a little left to right (its slightly angled right). I loosened the bar mounts, pulled ont he bars to where I thought it was straight an retightened. But its still a little off. I did again but cant seem to get it right.

Guess I will have to get some Applied upper clamps to resolve it :thumbsup:

I really cant get them right on again. I must be missing somethign obvious or maybe its the top clamp slightly off?

Hey guys. I did loosen and readjust the bar mounts and visually thought all was well. But its amazing how even being a tiny bit off is noticeable riding! I am slightly off a little left to right (its slightly angled right). I loosened the bar mounts, pulled ont he bars to where I thought it was straight an retightened. But its still a little off. I did again but cant seem to get it right.

Guess I will have to get some Applied upper clamps to resolve it :thumbsup:

I really cant get them right on again. I must be missing somethign obvious or maybe its the top clamp slightly off?

The lower forks legs can twist in the upper legs. Turn the bars all the way in the opposite direction that the bars are and give the tire a swift kick. More than likely the fork legs tiwsted slightly and you need to realign the front tire. Look at the tire in relation to the front fender and go from there.

The lower forks legs can twist in the upper legs. Turn the bars all the way in the opposite direction that the bars are and give the tire a swift kick. More than likely the fork legs tiwsted slightly and you need to realign the front tire. Look at the tire in relation to the front fender and go from there.

you can also loosen all 8 clamp bolts and the bar mounts and give it a good'ol kick and that works well too.

you can also loosen all 8 clamp bolts and the bar mounts and give it a good'ol kick and that works well too.

be careful,

its not an xr, where you can bend your forks so bad and rebend them back like that

its a high technology inverted fork cartredge suspention with a Seperate Dampening System® or SDS :thumbsup:

be careful,

its not an xr, where you can bend your forks so bad and rebend them back like that

its a high technology inverted fork cartredge suspention with a Seperate Dampening System® or SDS :ride:

looks like someone has been reading :thumbsup: