Sign in to follow this  

seat bouncing question

I have a question about seat bouncing. Now that I am off the bike due to injury, I have some time to think about what I have done, and just cant seem to figure this one out. To me, the only time I can seat bounch is coming out of a turn, with not much running ramp. Say 30-40 feet to accelerate. On the other hand, if I have a long run to a jump, and pick up a lot of speek, I seem to want to get bucked over the bike. Is seat bouncing only for short runs, where the acceleration keeps your weight back, or could this be done at any speed, any acceleration?

I'm far from an expert, but I tend to use seat boucing (or more plainly - compressing the suspension) on both high speed and low speed jumps as and when required. Let me explain - If you have a short run to a jump and you don't think you'll make the landing a well timed bouce can give you the extra lift to make the jump.

On the other hand, if you have a very fast jump where you tend to overjump, then I'll do a bounce BEFORE the lip to essentially launch without using the entire jump ... this makes you 'pre-jump' effectively getting much less air for those fast jumps.

when i try and seat bounch the bike kicks my ass what am i doin wrong its makin me loose confidence at tryin it . carl

when i try and seat bounch the bike kicks my ass what am i doin wrong its makin me loose confidence at tryin it . carl

You aren't on the gas hard enough. When seat bouncing you want to be squeezing the bike between your legs and be sitting in a neutral position on the seat. As you leave you want to be hard on the gas all the way off the jump, then as you are getting into the air, stand up as the bike is getting higher.

also if the jump has a real steep lip or a kicker on it and you're leaning too far back on the seat it can compress the shock to much and want to endo. rule of thumb, if there is time to stand, stand. Alot of times you can preload harder while standing anyways if you have time to do it.

Yeah never seat bounce if the jump face isn't smooth.

i would only recomend doing it right out of a turn but wen u do it lean foword if ur front end starts to pitch up

A good rule for seatbouncing is the faster you are going the further up you want to be on the seat. If its a jump where you are under hard acceleration or coming right out of a corner you can get away with sitting a little back on the seat, but not much further than neutral. This will allow you to pop a little more air into the jump and making it easier to clear. On the other hand if you are going fast it is better to sit perhaps a little further forward than neutral, this being that when you are under hard acceleration, you sit further back to avoid an endo, but when you are going fast, sit a bit further up on the seat (not on the gas tank of course, but up a bit). Squeeze the bike with your legs always and anticipate giving the back brake a tap. It is always better to come off a little front end high than low on a seat bounce, as it is much easier to correct. Start with smaller jumps and work your way up...its not too difficult.