Sign in to follow this  

How to access YZ250 jets?

I've found some useful tips on how to "jet" and check jetting in this forum but need a little practical advice.

What's the easiest way to get to the needle and main jets on a 2004 YZ250?

Thanks

loosen clamps on intake and airbox (ones around the carb) tilt the carb to the left, unscrew top & remove slide/needle. Turn the carb towrds the right side of the bike until the bottom of the bowl is accessable... remove carb drain plug, and there are the jets.... main jet is removed with a 6mm socket and the pilot is removed with a regular screw driver. Make sure the bike is clean before doing this

Thanks, that's how I was doing it. I had to remove my desert tank and then stripped the screws on top of the carb - better keep my day job.

Yeh I done that on my carb to stripped the thread that holds the top cap in place. Instead of fitting a helicoil becuase I could risk filings going into the crab I just got a long screw and nut and little washer put it though the hole then just put the nut and washer on and tightened it.

Thanks, that's how I was doing it. I had to remove my desert tank and then stripped the screws on top of the carb - better keep my day job.

That happens all the time, those screws are really soft. If you have a Dremel, you can try to cut a slot in the top of the screw to get a flathead screwdriver in there. I've used this method numerous times and it works great.

I had to use vise grips on all of the screws... I didnt strip them, but saw the writing on the wall. Since the original "break", the screws all come out with a phillips easily enough