Sign in to follow this  

Best used dual sport option for me?

I just found this board - great info out here.

I'm in western Montana with all sorts of 2-lane and off-road riding. I'm seriously considering dual sport - too often I'm on my touring bike and see a dirt road that takes off somewhere and wish I could head up it. So I can go home, load up my YZ (Widowmaker) and head back........it's not street legal, and beyond the add-on spark arrestor, is questionable to it's legality in the woods.... :thumbsup:

I've had an ATV which I can make street legal easily, but they're worthless for travelling down highways - I'm looking for something that I can drive 30-80 miles on pavement, then turn off and away I go.

I'm a big guy - 6'2", 235#, and I prefer big bikes. I've been riding dirt and street for 30+ years, so plenty of experience in all types of environments. I've pretty much narrowed it down to Suzuki's DR or Kawasaki's KLR 650's. I'm not a Honda fan (no offense), I'm dyed-in-the-wool Yamaha, however, their dual sport options suck for all intent and purpose.

A couple that I'm looking at currently - a '97 DR 650 and an '01 KLR 650. My riding would be close to a 50/50 split of dirt vs. pavement - maybe leaning a little heavier to dirt - I just want to GET there by pavement......

Just curious of everybody's thots on these two bikes, any other options, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Rick

WOW well i had the same thoughts so i went with the wr 450 added a little JUNK and made it street legal. more dirtbike than street tho, imo i say the wr would be a nice bike and parts are easy to get and yama is very dependable.

i ride 36-50 miles a day on the highway and have no problems, with the non dot knobbies )

One of the reasons I'm leaning towards the KLR is rear rack and availability of accessories. I need a place to store fly fishing necessities and of course a small cooler...............

I recently junked a KLR650 and it was no dirt machine. Really ate up highway/freeway miles but I rarely had fun with it offroad.

I switched to a DRZ400 and it seems to be an acceptable compromise. Runs down the freeway just fine and feels almost like a dirt bike once you get their. Most of my decision was based on the difficulty of plating something in California and I have been happy so far.

We are not far off in weight as I weigh 215 at the moment. I am all of 5'5" standing on a curb so the seat was tall for me but should be fine for you. The DRZ has low bars so taller guys sometimes mount risers for standing, I fit the bars just fine.

I also carry a bunch of stuff on mine. However, I did manufacture my own sidecases/parcel shelf as that crud is way overpriced. For what I paid for the tig welder and remnant material I have saved money and built boxes to suit my particular needs (camera gear).

Good luck on the decision.

The DRZ 400 will cruise on the freeway at 65 just fine, and it is a superior offroad machine. It has the same suspension as the offroad only version.

Dualsport by their nature have to be street bikes. The DRZ, a used DRZ 400 for around 3 grand is a great option for the described purposes.