Sign in to follow this  

11 weeks later, 25 years old clavicle still broke

11weeksuj6.jpg

Why would this happen to someone in as good shape and as young as me? What garuntees are there that it will heal with a plate and bone graft? Why? WHy?

It happens because of the huge amount of energy that the clavicle absorbed when the accident happened. The displacement of the fragements stripped the blood supply from the bone ends. Since there is no blood supply, then there is no healing.

This is a typical injury in MX and in 30 percent of cases doesn't heal, or heals poorly and later breaks again. Associated with this is weakness, pain, and the everpresent bump.

Unfortunately there are no guarnatees that the surgery will fix this. Using the right technique, bone graft from you own hip, and a locked plate, the odds are about 90 percent.

From my own personal experience, all the ones done with a guys own bone and a good plate, rather than a pin, have healed. But while past results are the best predictor of future results, only God can be 100 percent sure.

Should be more callus formation there by now but I wouldn't rule that one out just yet. See how it looks at 6-8 months. You can always get the surgery done then. But be careful with it for now!

Signifigant communitution and displacement, and no healing in three months.

That fracture has declared itself. It is not going to heal.

man that sucks big time. Hope you recover ASAP! if it makes you feel any better at least it isnt your back or neck :thumbsup:

Just from an economic standpoint, I step away from my previous statement, you will loose more time and money not dealing with it now. Bite the bullet, get it grafted, plated and get on with the rehab when appropriate. Damn clavicles can be too fickle to be diddling away the time with.

Quite a few years ago, I did a spectacular get-off and fractured my right clavicle. It did not heal properly, the Dr. called it a "fibrous union", fibrous tissue had grown in the fracture and was holding the clavicle together. Eight months later, I crashed again and the clavicle broke in the same spot. This time, it healed up in the normal manner after 7-8 weeks, been OK since. I am by no means recommending that you break it again, just passing on my experience.