Sign in to follow this  

crank case puncture

I did a quick search and came up emty, does anyone have experience with a crank case puncture on the gear shifter side? I was changing my tire and left my bike on a stand, left to go get rear tire mounted and came back and my bike was on the ground with oil everywhere!! my gear shifter pushed thru my CFC guard and put a hair line puncture on my crank case and i tried to get Progressive to pay for it but yeah right!!! they try there hardest not to pay anything. but anyway how much will this set me back? I called a shop but it is hard to describe over the phone everything without seeing it and they said that I only need to replace the ignition cover ($102) gasket ($10) and about an hour of labor ($65/hr) so around $200. I am skeptical and that seems low, does anyone have any help for me???

:thumbsup:

First of all if the shifter is the only thing that hit the motor than you dont need the cranck replaces, all you need is to eather fix your egnition cover with some JB weld or get a new cover and replace it YOURSELF (it is easy TOTALY NOT WORTH PAYING 65 $ to someone to do it)

The shop is correct in their solution for your problem, although you could deffinately do it CHEAPER.

Also did you grind of the sharp edge on the back side of your shifter? If not you must do it, its like a can opener.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345046&page=1&highlight=shifter+hole

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192145&highlight=shifter+hole

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177102&page=1&highlight=shifter+hole

After you fix it ... make sure it can't happen again.

36carbon-case-cover-shift-web-med.jpg

What did you "glue" to your CFC?

i thought i had full coverage and well i pay every year and this is the first time in 4 years i had major damage. i wanted to price it to see if it was worth the premium increase

i thought i had full coverage and well i pay every year and this is the first time in 4 years i had major damage. i wanted to price it to see if it was worth the premium increase

IMHO this is not major damage.

I'd never file an insurance claim for anything less than a grand... ever.

Does anyone know what that case is called to look up for the ignition side, which is the gear shifter side, CORRECT?????

also, if I take off my case and push out the hairline crack and seal it with JB weld, do I need a new gasket?

Does anyone know what that case is called to look up for the ignition side, which is the gear shifter side, CORRECT?????

also, if I take off my case and push out the hairline crack and seal it with JB weld, do I need a new gasket?

it is the ignition cover

often you can reuse that gasket. or rather, you can reuse that gasket often. It is a metal gasket with a fibre coating on it. I have unfortunately had mine off and back on several times in the past few days.

that peice of rubber or carbon fibre glued to that case someone posted is a good idea-might do the same. While you have the gear shifter off to repair your cover, grind the back side of it round and smooth.

prepare the case well for jb weld. Rough it up with coarse sand paper at least 1/2" each side of the crack, grind away a little bit right at the crack to create a hollow to fill and wash clean with degreaser and alcohol to get rid of any residue of any kind. let it sit over night before reass'y

Sweet mod Casey, what did you attach to th ecover to help cushion the Shifter?

Is that a little piece of rubber?

Be careful trying to push the bent metal at the crack back out. If it bent very much, you may end up creating another crack in the cast magnesium cover. That metal doesn't like to be bent much, it tends to fracture easily.