'06 CRF250X CCC and other mods questions...

Hi guys,

Just back from my 6th trail-ride on my '06 250x and decided I want more power (the rest of the bike is perfect for me :ride: ). I've been reading this (and other) forums and already have a game-plan but there's still some doubts lingering and I will spend some serious $$$, so let's ask the experts :applause: :

I have decided to go ahead with the CCC mods sans the "pink wire" cutting (seems this brings more problems than it solves, valve-wise, correct me if wrong)...

1) It says to replace the header with the '04 250R header, does this mean an aftermarket header that fits the '04 R will also drop-in fit the X? I wondered this because of potential weight/performance gains.

2) It also says to put in the R camshaft, would putting in a HotCam Stage 1 be better performance-wise?

Other than that, I plan on modding...

-Opening Airbox (CCC)

-Cutting mesh from stock muffler (CCC)

-JD Jetting Kit

-Scary Fast Power Now and Power Now PLUS

-STR Fuel screw

Any other suggestions?

Thank you for any help ?.

Aurelio.

hot cam 1 will give better low-mid, the R cam is more top end power. but if you wanted that, get a hot cam stage 2. i wouldnt get an R cam.

other than that, you got it all right. cept i wouldnt waste my money on JD jet kit. just buy the jets.

I dont think it has to be the 04 R header can be the 05 R header or any other aftermarket header that would be used on an R, also good decision on the pink wire I agree seem alot of people that have premature valve failier has done the pink wire mod, I think your mods are looking good but I would reccomend getting the R muffler too because of the weight savings

I have modified two '06 CRF250X's with great results using the air fuel ratio sensor on a DynoJet dyno. The main goal was to improve power all over and keep it less than 94 dba and to carburate well from low to high. After the modifications both bikes pulled dead even with a '06 CRF250R until the middle of 6th gear. In the woods I love my X allot more than my 05 KTM 450 EXC (which is a great bike that weighs 265 lbs with gas)

Wisconsin and Michigan riding 650 feet above sea level 70 degrees 50% humidity

Here is my list and I believe you need to do it all to get the best results:

Muzzy Ti pipe with quiet insert and spark arrester

Air box mod (cut off top)

Twin Air billet cage air filter kit (very trick and eliminates the screen plus the filter is flame proof)

45 pilot jet

1.5 to 2 turns on Zip Ty fuel screw

Richen needle 1 groove down

155 main jet

Power now rear blade only

Boysen pump cover

Drill 7 holes 5/8 diameter holes across the top edge of the air box door (drill these from the inside of the door between the two ridges of plastic 1” center to center)

Now you can tune your bike to the altitude or conditions with a simple piece of duct tape. When its hot and humid leave all the holes open and lean out the fuel screw to 1.5 turns out. In nice weather (60-80 degrees 40-60% humidity cover 3 holes with tape and set fuel screw to 1.75 turns out. When its cool out 40-60 degrees and low humidity cover more holes as needed and turn the fuel screw out to 2 turns.

I also installed a 51 tooth rear to smooth out the gear ratio’s a bit. And I installed a Recluse clutch (great product).

The bike is a blast to ride in the woods and you can ride much longer with less rest stops, because the bike is so light and smooth.

Joe Koenig ?

www.dieseljo.com

Hi guys,

Just back from my 6th trail-ride on my '06 250x and decided I want more power (the rest of the bike is perfect for me :ride: ). I've been reading this (and other) forums and already have a game-plan but there's still some doubts lingering and I will spend some serious $$$, so let's ask the experts :applause: :

I have decided to go ahead with the CCC mods sans the "pink wire" cutting (seems this brings more problems than it solves, valve-wise, correct me if wrong)...

1) It says to replace the header with the '04 250R header, does this mean an aftermarket header that fits the '04 R will also drop-in fit the X? I wondered this because of potential weight/performance gains.

2) It also says to put in the R camshaft, would putting in a HotCam Stage 1 be better performance-wise?

Other than that, I plan on modding...

-Opening Airbox (CCC)

-Cutting mesh from stock muffler (CCC)

-JD Jetting Kit

-Scary Fast Power Now and Power Now PLUS

-STR Fuel screw

Any other suggestions?

Thank you for any help ?.

Aurelio.

You are partially correct on the pink wire mod. I would leave it or do a toggel switch.

As far as the header the 06 R head is way better than the 04 or 05 they do interchange. The 04 R cam is probably better than all the other cams as far as low end and the stage 1 hot cam i've been told is really flat on the top but I don't have one on my bike.

-Opening Airbox (CCC) Yes a must do.

-Cutting mesh from stock muffler (CCC) Don't do this just leave it in. You will not gain anything from this. The only thing you will gain is a bike with out a spark arrestor. Remove the baffle if you want a louder bike but you can just drill out the end of the baffle with a 13/16" drill bit.

-JD Jetting Kit - I can't tell you about this kit but I know that a lot of guys have had pretty good luck with it. Buy the one with the AP o rings

-Scary Fast Power Now and Power Now PLUS - If you buy the JD kit with the O rings you don't really need to buy these.

-STR Fuel screw - A must have should be everyone's 2nd mod.

#1 mod is the AP mod but if you buy the JD kit with the O ring you will do this mod.

Once that is done you can also pick up a used 04 or 05 R head pipe and it'll really make the bike scream in the mid and top end.

the "R" cam in an "X" loses a lot of low end , evens out in the middle, and gains as much top end as it lost in the bottom.

a Hot Cams stage 1 maintains most of the low end of the "X" cam (loses a little), gains most of the top end of the "R" cam (not quite all of it) and makes more midrange power and torque than either of the other two

the Hot Cams stage two is a top end only cam for the "R" I wouldnt think it would be desired choice for your "X"