Sign in to follow this  

Suggestions for the QUIETEST after market exhaust

I'm considering trying to loose some of the higher mounted weight on the DR to make the bike feel more flickable.

A while back I had the stock system off and found it was quite heavy (yeah, no surprise there). Recently I was packing around a load on the back of the bike that was probably as heavy as the exhuast system or perhaps a little more. I was amazed at how cumbersome it made the bike feel and what a noticable difference it was when I unloaded it and rode home. So I'm guessing that going for a lighter system would also help a lot.

Yup, ditching the stock pipe makes a weight difference you can really feel.

Unfortuatelty all aftermarket pipes are louder.

I'd go with an FMF "Q" but even that is a little "barky" mounted to a DR650.

You might want to check out Staintune. They come with a removable baffle that when in place is suppose to be just a bit louder than stock. Compare the FM2 with the Staintune.....the FM2 will need a repacking from time to time also.

Motoretro

I just put the Supertrapp IDS2 on my DR. I got the "quiet" version which translates to having an additional baffle in the exhaust - I'm very happy at this point - I wanted something quiet - at idle the IDS2 is not very loud at all and even at higher RPMS its not obnoxious. I didn't want to put an exhaust on b/c I live in the city and the quieter the better for me (neighbors, etc) but I had to tear the top end down to replace the b/s paper base gasket that was leaking and while apart I had the head ported so I needed to open the exhaust system up to match.

You might want to check out Staintune. They come with a removable baffle that when in place is suppose to be just a bit louder than stock. Compare the FM2 with the Staintune.....the FM2 will need a repacking from time to time also.

Motoretro

I wouldn't advise the Staintune for this application. Even with the baffle in place, it's a lot louder than stock..

j.

My friend had the supertrapp, must have been the "race" or track version because it was LOUD, like a straight pipe. I was looking into the FMF but wonder how long the intervals between repacking are, anyone have some insight?

..... I didn't want to put an exhaust on b/c I live in the city and the quieter the better for me (neighbors, etc) but I had to tear the top end down to replace the b/s paper base gasket that was leaking and while apart I had the head ported so I needed to open the exhaust system up to match.

That sounds like a pretty lame justification for upgrading the exhaust.... :thumbsup:

I put a fmf q2 on mine. It is a bit louder. But I like the sound. I hate loud exhausts to. It is really fairly quiet running at stedy throttle. Just when you goose it or deaccelerate can you hear it. But it is really much lighter than stock. And you can feel a power gain throughout the rpm range.

I put a fmf q2 on mine. It is a bit louder. But I like the sound. I hate loud exhausts to. It is really fairly quiet running at stedy throttle. Just when you goose it or deaccelerate can you hear it. But it is really much lighter than stock. And you can feel a power gain throughout the rpm range.

Yup, that's right...just lay off the throttle when you pas the neighbors and the "Q" is fine.

That supertrapp IDSII is a real light muffler. The bike'll feel like you tossed an anchor overboard then you mount it.

Thanks all. I'm leaning towards the Supertrapp IDS2 with the quiet core. I'll have to see where this goes.

Recently the desire to cut down on some stuff means that I may look at streeting the Husky for short haul fun and selling the DR. Or I may end up selling the Husky and the DR350 in favour of a single low maintanence bike that I can motard. Thanks to all the info on the DR650 I'm sort of leaning that way.