Sign in to follow this  

the DR appears to be miles ahead of the KLR in power,quality,off-road survival to me!

Been reading the DR vs. KLR threads on here and I have to say thanks! I was almost 99% positive I was going to buy a KLR till I read these threads and confirmed what was in the back of my mind all this time that the KLR is a P.O.S.!

I can't believe all the crap you have to do to a KLR right off the bat to make it road/dirt worthy. Doohickey, subframe bolts, this guard, that guard, and not to forget the FISHER-PRICE skid plate that comes stock on it!

Bolts falling out constantly. "Make sure you LOCTITE every bolt on the bike when you first get it" (Kawasaki quality - an oxymoron?)

All I see that the DR needs is a skid plate and maybe some more dirt aggressive tires. I added up all the mods. the KLR needs to survive moderate off-roading and I am up to $1350.00 so far. &%$#@!? Like they said 20 year old technology versus 10 year old technology.

I'm 6'3" 300lbs. how will the DR work out for me at a 70/30 street and dirt split? Thanks ahead of time to those that reply!

I like my DR alot, but I definitely wouldn't call the KLR a POS. Guys I ride with have em and they are good bikes if your bias is alittle more street. Here's my list of DR mods:

Corbin $280

Pipe $200

Rack $70

Skid plate $50

DJ kit $80

Tires $150

---------

$830

You may not need all this stuff, but I just want to point out the KLR comes with the rack, comfy seat, and skid plate. It also has a much larger tank stock, many DR owners need the IMS tank for the type of riding they do.

Both good bikes in my opinion, but my choice is the DR.

I would agree with Hilltownwalsh, the KLR comes with a few things I wish were on the DR. The KLR is a good bike although heavier and more for roads. I know a couple bigger guys (250+) who really like them. I had ridden both and thought the KLR was a little more pushy and top heavy (probably the bigger tank was full). The Dr can also come with plenty of loose or improperly tightened hardware. I think a better comparison would be the KLX vs the DR. That said the DR whips either one :thumbsup:

I think that the DR is a better bike too. But they are both great bikes, and stand up well. But the DR looks cooler and handles the dirt better, and much faster. I raced a 2003 KLR the other day and he had a pipe and carb kit. I have just the carb kit and air box mod. I walked away on him and never looked back. DR all the way. :thumbsup:

Well the DR is a better dirt bike but you still need to mod it a bit to get it working right. The DR's advantage over the KLR is better front brake, suspension and smaller size and weight.

For a guy your size, you might want to look at something a bit larger than the DR as it is the smallest 650 D/S around.

The Honda might be a better bike for you if you can stand a bit less road ability and comfort. It's a much taller and more dirt oriented bike.

I love my DR but I am a little smaller than you.

If you go DR you will have to get the suspension stiffened to suit your weight. this costs about $500 to do right.

Both are good platforms to be built up to the way you want to use the bike. Basically gearing, carb setup, tires, and ergonometrics are the basics. Otherwise, the KLR has the doohicky, the DR650s built before mid-2003 can have bad cylinder head base gaskets, the early DR650SE models can grenade the engine from the starter mechanism. They each have their quirks and somethings take more attention and money some don't.

The biggest difference, IMHO, is the water vs. air/oil cooling. Some folks think water cooling is the sign of a modern bike and necessary for anything they ride and they will overheat without it. Others prefer the proven reliability of the simpler aim/oil cooling. I personally prefer the simplicity of the DR650 cooling system. If the air/oil cooling system works great on my BMW R1150GS (it does), it will work fine on the DR650.

With the quality of oil today,A/Cooling is not a problem. The first time you have to do the Kwacker's valves, you will appreciate the lack of L/Cooling and those beautiful little screw valve adjusters. As far as the KLR having the edge on the street, i beg to differ. Maybe more gadgets and creature comforts but i feel the first time you are leaning your DR into a tight 25mph curve at 45mph you will understand the DR handles fantastic on the street! Simple, solid, and smooth (with a little help from Jesse). :thumbsup:

Motoretro

If I were you, I would talk to Jesse and get the proper springs for your weight first. you'll find the DR to be a fine street bike and OK for dirt riding if you're not interersted in outrunning the smaller better handling dirt guys.

Granted the DR is more of a "sportscar" than the KLR but the KLR makes a far better "jeep" than a DR does. Adding those nice checkerplate aluminium travel boxes to a KLR is a natural thing but on a DR they would weigh it down something fierce.

At what the KLR is good for there really isn't anything in it's class. It's just that the bike doesn't fit the needs of folks that worry more about sport and less about utility.

I know that if I was doing an all summer Alaska trip or some year long South American back roads adventure trip I know that my first choice would likely be a KLR even if it did require a heap of fine tuning.

I am 6'2". I weigh a lot less than you. But when my GF is on the back we weigh exactly the same. It pulls really well with both of us. I can even lug the engine and it will still rip through the gears. I can even lug in 5th and still have good pick up. The suspension is a bit soft for you I would say. I don't really go to fast off road with the GF. But I weigh 180 and I sometimes take some hard hits when hitting some really bad holes, bumps etc.. Don't want to make it sound worse than it is. Most of the time I have no problem with the suspension. I am sure the Kaw is much worse.

Myself, I would pick the DR over the KLR any day. That is why I paid $280 more for it than I could of got a KLR for.

I sure love my 06 DR 650. Several of my pals ride KLR650`s they seem pleased with their machines. The KLR certainly looks better when the saddlebags and other stuff is attached (even though Kawasaki still can`t get the bike color right). The DR just doesn`t "look" right with all that stuff attached. Just my opinion and you can certainly get lots of them here. If I was taking long trips though, I`d still choose the DR and put up with the "look". At 200 pounds, and 5foot 8 inch`s, the DR is a good fit and both feet on the ground is no problem. That said, the DR allows slightly technical stuff, being I can easily toe-tap if necessary. The KLR guys with lots of riding skills seem to be able to keep up so I assume the handling isn`t that far off. I`m not going to cut them down cause to each his own, and I`m just glad to have riding partners with similar riding interest. Here is a little putfile slideshow of what we`ve been up to in south Alabama:

http://media.putfile.com/Outlaws-like-us

I just got a DR and I'm 6'3" 330lbs. The ride is outstanding, but the previous owner modded the suspension. Eibach springs front and rear, with 3/4" preload up front.

hey xrl250! thanks for the slide show! looks like you guy's have a pretty kick ass time down there. watching that makes me want to get my ass in gear and go get my DS

this week! see ya!

I am a new DR650 owner myself, and I am so glad that I changed my mind from the KLR to the DR!!!! You find so many people that tell you to get the KLR, but most have not ever ridden the DR. Look at the posts where they have owned both machines, and they invariably pick the DR.

I had passed by the DR because I read the seat sucked, and the tank was bigger on the KLR. Almost bought a used KLR on an impulse at a dealer. Glad I got turned down on the financing, it had 8,000 miles on it, and they wanted 5,000$ for it, but I could not find a new KLR anywhere around Tucson, and I had new bike fever, and was not thinking straight!! Kinda like poontang fever in a way!!

So then after getting to try that used KLR, but not getting it, I went and looked at the Suzuki that I had turned my nose up at before, without even looking at it. Wow!! It sure felt different than the KLR!! More like a dirt bike. Lean it over, way lower center of gravity. Got me thinking, so I went back to the internet and researched it. Turns out the guys who have them love them. My concerns about the tank and seat were stupid really. It is easy to put on a new seat, and bigger tank. But try to make the KLR feel as light as the DR, or have as good of suspension, and as much ground clearance.

The DR has a lower CG, but has more clearance, lower seat, and longer travel. DR has a better front brake. DR has push to cancel signals. DR has much easier valves to adjust. DR has no Doohickey that needs fixed right away.

I have had the bike just 2 weeks, and have put over 800 miles on it. I have done some twisty pavement rides(Mt Lemon) and it handles the corners like a sportbike. Absolutely blows cars away from 0 to 60. Eats Harleys up off the line, and totally runs and hides from them around corners. Even guys on crotch rockets seem surprised just how quick it comes off the line, or how fast it jumps forward when you slow down at a light, and it changes, and you both get on it. They have to be in the right gear, if they gun it in the wrong gear, a bike like the DR with so much torque just jumps forward without being so picky about gear selection. Sure, once they get the right gear, and get it on the pipe, they leave you, but they have to try.

Think I even pissed off a guy with a very spendy looking black Mustang Cobra. Jumped him off the line, to about 50, he then was coming up hard on me, but I started easing off because we were in a 40 zone. He then stuck his foot into it and ran it up to about 80 or 90 down the street, I think just a little mad that he had been behind me at all. Sure, he had me after 60, but I think he was surprised by how quick that "Dirt bike" was up to 50. Is the DR the fastest thing on the street? No. But it does pretty darn good, and it will surprise you just how capable it is on the street.

Also, it is very stable. I can stand up on it doing 80, without so much as a wiggle, and high winds don't blow it around at all.

Offroad, is another pleasant surprise. I was running 70mph down dirt roads, and it was very stable. Even drifted the tail around some corners.

I have taken it offroad as well. It is dry here in AZ, and that helps, because we have dry rocks to grip onto, so the stock tires do surprisingly well here. I followed a friend on a DRZ dirt bike, and he blew me away, but I went where he went. It was rough enough that you had to pick your line to keep from knocking the cases, so it was definately not what you call dirt roads. It would have taken a Jeep Rubicon to go where we went, and I did it with my feet on the pegs, and no clutch slippage. This bike goes through that stuff well, and you can lean it this way, and that, really easy, and just grunt your way right up and over rough boulder and rock piles. A skid plate is going to be my first purchase, before a different seat.

You can take this bike some pretty rough places, trust me!! It can't be ridden like a hardcore enduro bike, but it will go some rough trails.

Overall, I think this bike is a blast!! It is lots of fun in traffic, and on the road, and it handles good enough off road that you do not have to limit where you go very much. It will cruise easily at 75mph, and give you over 50mpg. I can roll the throttle open and pass cars easily. I did my first valve adjustment on it, and it is really easy.(KLR requires shims) Oil/filter change is a 10 minute job. I think that if you get this bike, you will really like it, and I personally think it is better than the KLR. If you want to make it a KLR, just put a seat and tank on it and go. And it will still eat the KLR up offroad.