Sign in to follow this  

Putting SM wheels on S??

Hi all!

I have a 2004 DRZ S and I want to put supermoto wheels on her.....what parts do I need to buy? Be specific as to what size wheels/tires, brakes etc I will need. What is my cheapest solution if there is one?

I want to keep my knobbies for my dirt days and swap to the street tires to run around town. Is it possible to just switch them back and forth with minimal hassle?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Dig out your wallet and give the TT store a call.

As for switching, I can switch mine out in about 15 minutes.

Call me... I've been through this conversation a few dozens times (or more), specifically for the DRZ platform. You have a number of options to consider.

Ideally, you'll want a complete set of brake discs for both wheels and if you're using different gearing for sm, a new rear sprocket and a 2nd chain with clip master link.

Here's a quick rundown of what I did...

Wheels: 17x3.5, 17x4.25 from the TT store

Tires: 120/70/17, 150/60/17

Brake: 320mm Motomaster rotor w/relocation bracket

Chain: DID X-ring

Gearing: SM-15/41, Dirt-15/50

I kept my dirt wheels and had full sets of brakes/sprockets for both wheel sets. I found it was easier to switch chains than it was to change sprockets. So, the wheels would come off, I would swap chains, and install/remove the caliper relocation bracket, and adjust my suspension settings. Really quite easy and great to essentially have two completely different bikes with only one insurance policy. You won't regret it!! :thumbsup:

Here's a list of all of the parts I ordered for my S-SM conversion

EBC 320mm Front Rotor w/ relocation bracket

Front Brake Pads

Tires/Tubes/Rims/Rim Strips

Braided Front Brake Line

Rear Brake Rotor

Rear Brake Pads

47T Rear Sprocket

SM Front Fender

Replacement Brake Pins (F&R)

TT SM Kickstand

K&N Air Filter

Grand total of $2200 using all new parts. Worth every penny, especially at higher speeds, the bike is much more stable.

HH

I did the 17" wheel assemblies from RAD Mfg, see the article in the TT tested section on the home page. They come ready to install with spacer. Just add tires, discs, sprocket. $1200 will buy a top notch set of wheels then if you have the cash, or save for it, do like Bryan Bosch says and get the brakes, sprocket and chain. The swap is so easy it isn't funny. RAD Mfg stands behind their product. My set wasn't off set away from the sprocket when I got it from them and it gouged the rim. I called them & explained the problem, they explained how to move the rim away from the sprocket by loosening the sprocket side spokes and tighten the opposite side 1/4 turn at a time. They replaced the rim, laced & trued it and didn't charge me a penny. You can't beat that for warranty.

Thanks for the good advice everyone!

Ill be calling TT store on Monday and see what the damage will be!