Drz400sm/rmz450 Conversion?

I Just Purchased A 06 Drz400sm,love The Bike Its A Total Blast,but The Power Situation Needs To Be Addressed,i Have Done A Bunch Of Research On This Forum,and Im Probably Gonna Do The 3x3,yoshimura Pipe,and Fcr Carb When There Available,but Im Not Sure This Will Be What Im Looking For,ive Also Considered Big Bore Kits As Well But Im Afraid I Will Be Working On It More Then Riding,so My Question Is Can A Rmz Motor Be Put In A Drz? Im Sure This Has Been Asked All Ready,but I Could Not Find Anything On This Forum.any Input Would Be Appreciated,also Wondering If I Should Do The 3x3 Mod With The Stock Pipe(spark Arrestor Out)or Just Leave It Alone

apparently the engine swap is not really practical as they are very different designs. The drz will make decent poer when all those things you mention are done. The stock pipe is really pretty good. You will notice a nice gain in power with the 3x3 and rejet and a slight gain in peak power with an aftermarket full system but a major improvment in usable power and throttle response. So, yes, do 3x3 & rejet first, regardless of what you do for exhaust.

btw welcome to tt

what part of maine are from? i can see part of your state from my kitchen window

Why would you want to? If you think the 4 speed RMZ motor would be a better motor...it would have been better to convert an entire RMZ to supermoto mode.

The DRZ is better...and can achieve power as good or better then the RMZ for less then the cost to try and shoe horn A RMZ motor into a chassis where it does not belong.

I Didnt Think It Was Feasable To Go The Route Of A Rmz 450 Motor,but I Had To Ask,because Ive Ridden The 450's And The Power Is Tremendous,so I Have My Doubts That I Can Achieve That Type Of Power From My 400,and Truth Be Told I Dont Wanna Do The 3x3,yosh And Fcr Carb,and Waste My Time And Money,by Not Being Happy With It And Turning Around And Starting Over With A Big Bore Kit,im From Ellsworth Maine And Dont Have One Around With Any Mods To Compare With,so Im A Little Skeptical Aboutdoing The Mods And Not Just Going Straight To A Big Bore Kit,i Really Do Appreciate All Your Feed Back And Comments Im New To The Forum But Not To The Game.thanks Alot Jj

That Is Quite A Run-On Sentence

The 3x3 and rejet is going to help, but if you want mad power you may as well do more mods now. Justify it by the rationalization that you won't be wasting money by having to buy two jets kits. [one for the CV and one for the FCR]

Doubling the stock power not good enough for ya?

I have done the FCR 3x3 and the exhaust mod...and the power increase was about 20%. Currently I am planning to assemble my 475 (Bored and Stroked).

I have about $850 in the kit and another $400 in a valve and spring kit for the head (precaution). I am still going to be cheaper then the RMZ would be and the power will eclipse what the RMZ makes.

If you're worried about it, just build a big motor from the get go. The 3x3, DJ, Yosh is for people who want a little more power and more response. If you want WAY more power do a big bore, cams, FCR, 3x3 hole, full system, and enjoy it!

My bike has the 3x3, DJ, full yosh. I rode a rode a bike with a big bore, cammed, full system, and a CDI (still had the stock carb &%$#@!!!) and the power was INCREDIBLY differnt than mine. The heavily modded bike with 15-38 gearing on SM wheels would easily loft the front wheel with roll on power in 3rd. My bike needs a big tug and a handfull to get the front up in 2nd while geared 15-44 on the stock wheels.

There is power to be gained if you want it.