35 Mpg.....wtf????

and the bike (2000 E) seems to be running great. The reason I say seems is because this is my first off-roader and thumper, so I really have nothing to compare it too.

I've had the bike 2 months now but only the last few weeks have had a speedo and odometer.

95% dirt yeilded about 25-27 mpg. :applause:

100% street yeilded about 37-38 and this is the best so far.

I should be getting almost double this.

Bike details....

Stock FCR carb, but I have no idea on the jetting of it, if any. :ride:

full Yosh RS-3 pipe and air box mod. Bike starts great, runs great in all rpms ( I assume), good pulling power ( again, no reference). No popping on decal. ?

15-49 gearing....I have 15/44 sprockets on order, that should help a little but I know it's not the primary cause, and I'll pull the carb the next rainy day I get to see what's been played with in their.

Any thoughts or recommendations??

Thanks

Ken

On the street riding super agressively I get about 35 mpg also.

The street riding I do is mostly commuting to work, 30-50 mph, pass a few lights and very easy on the throttle most all the time.

And the dirt riding I do is just your average trails with some fire roads, again not being aggresive with my right wrist.

If I constantly rode WOT I'd be in the low 20s no doubt. ?

Ken

When you get the 70mpg mod figured out...

Please post it...

I've got a stock '01 S and the very best I ever recorded was 55 mpg on pavement in 5th for about 1hr 50min...

but only the last few weeks have had a speedo and odometer.

No popping on decal

How do you know your speedo and odo are calibrated properly?

You think you should be getting 50 mpg on dirt and 70+ mph on street? Think again.

Some steady popping on decel is a sign of a well-tuned carb.

No popping on decel? ?

<<<<How do you know your speedo and odo are calibrated properly?>>>>

I don't, I have a BAJA analog speedo/odo and I assume it's reasonably correct. But who knows. I'll compare it with a couple more vehicles.

<<<<You think you should be getting 50 mpg on dirt and 70+ mph on street? Think again.>>>>

Actually I was thinking more on the lines of 40-45mpg taking it fairly easy on light trails. And commuting to work to be 55-60mpg, again light on the throttle.

<<<<Some steady popping on decel is a sign of a well-tuned carb.

No popping on decel? :ride:>>>>

Well I don't agree with you on this one. I guess it depends on what you would call popping. Popping to me is almost on the verge of a backfire. I don't have any of that. It does have a healthy exhaust note though when gearing down. But I wouldn't call it popping, it's more thumping. ?

Ken

When you get the 70mpg mod figured out...

Please post it...

I've got a stock '01 S and the very best I ever recorded was 55 mpg on pavement in 5th for about 1hr 50min...

Notice in my first post I said "almost". I don't expect to get 70mpg, getting close to 60 mpg once would b nice though. 35mpg is the best I've gotten so far. I've also went through a tank getting 25. So yes I think I should be getting ALMOST double this.

Hitting reserve at 55-60 miles with average/normal riding can't be normal for this bike. My Pontiac Montana gets better mileage than that. Although it's a lot less fun.

?

Ken

There are way too many variables involved here:gearing, altitude, state of tune, machine age/condition,style of riding, and the list goes on....The best anyone can do is be sure they are set up properly (exhaust gas analyzed?). Otherwise is just kinda/sorta/maybe. Your best bet is to listen real close to what Eddie tells you!

I only have maybe 2-300 miles that I"ve put on my DRZ K since I recently bought it. Also my first thumper. It's an '01. After I got it i took it to Burned who did the jetting and some other stuff.

I've only been getting 35mph. MOderately aggressive riding. 14/47 gearing, 5000 - 8000ft altitude. No 3x3 modification. WB e series exhaust. Runs totally great. Other people have ridden it and say it runs fine.

I'd done all the preventive maintenance described on this list (MCCT, Rad guards, fluid changes, water pump, valves, ...).

The bike runs great, but gets lousy mileage. The other day i finally got around to cleaning the air filter.

On my next tank I got 45 mph. This was mixed riding - hard trails, some city, some highway at 65mph.

Too soon to tell if this is a permanent thing or a fluke.

But clean your air filter just in case.

Thinc2,

thanks for the tip, I cleaned the air filter a couple days ago. I haven't ridden enough to tell if it's made any difference. Maybe the mileage I get is what I'm gonna get. :ride:

But I'm lowering the variables as I go just to make sure. Such as, all fluids recently changed, cleaned filter as mentioned. Got new 15/44 sprockets on the way, I know that will help especially when street commuting. Mechanically the bike is good, but I haven't dug into the carb and I want to make certain of the rest before I go into it.. I'll make a couple distance runs to work with my van and car and compare mileage on those vehicles with the bike odometer.

Hopefully I can scrounge another 10-15 mpg out of her and I'll be happy. :applause:

Thanks everyone..... ?

Ken