Sign in to follow this  

Shim valves from 0?

Can the valves be shimmed if the clearance has gone to 0? Could you for instance through a different random shim in there to at least get some clearance so that you can get an initial measurement and then adust accordingly from there? I haven't pulled the top off the bike yet or anything... I'm just curious...

You can but from what i have read the valve zeros out again at a faster rate.

Also... from what I have read... the seat gets damaged more and more as you run it like this.

Mine went to zero....

I knew i wanted .006 clearance, but had zero.

So I tossed the 1-size up from exactly desired clearance, put it back together, and came out with .005 clearance.

I've only got ~3hrs on it, I plan to check at 3 to see if it closes again really quickly...I'll probably get serious about installing my KW's after it closes again.

Valve time. Don't just reshim. If you continue to run it the valve seats could get jacked beyond repair as well as the possibility of breaking a head off a valve. I happen to have a set of Ferrea valves sitting in my garage just waiting for someone to buy them from me. :thumbsup:

Can the valves be shimmed if the clearance has gone to 0? Could you for instance through a different random shim in there to at least get some clearance so that you can get an initial measurement and then adust accordingly from there? I haven't pulled the top off the bike yet or anything... I'm just curious...

yes you could but i would not recamend! do the valves :thumbsup:

I had the valves on my '02 go to zero clearance and I shimmed them back from zero a couple times so I wouldn't miss out on some riding trips.

Right before I tore the bike apart I was running the thinnest shims available. :ride:

I wouldn't do it again though. The whole time I was riding I was just waiting for a head to break off a valve. :thumbsup:

Just looking to prolong the kibblewhites if this is even my problem...

Valve time. Don't just reshim. If you continue to run it the valve seats could get jacked beyond repair as well as the possibility of breaking a head off a valve. I happen to have a set of Ferrea valves sitting in my garage just waiting for someone to buy them from me. :thumbsup:

the seats are A LOT harder than the valves, and i can't see the valve pounding them out even if you were to run them for quite a while how they are. but, like everyone said, its valve job time.

Khris,

Break down and put some valves in the white beast. I put some in my 05 the first time it went to 0.

Alan