Sign in to follow this  

Good Deal??

My youngest son (8 y/o) has been racing for about a year. Originally my oldest son (16 y/o) felt that he was too old to start racing mx. He was a decent desert rider but I think he felt intimidated. Also, his bike (96 rm125) was too old & outdated to race competitively. I feel bad for my oldest son because we spend alot of money on his brothers racing. My youngest son has a new kx65 & practices all the time. One day at the track our friend (the local mechanic at the track) tried convincing my older son to race. He offered to sell me a 2005 CRF250r for $3,000. The bike is in good mechanical shape. Our friend had checked it all out. It sounds like a steal to me - what do you think?

Sounds good to me, especially if it was maintained by a mechanic, the 05 is a great bike.

Great - sounds like I should go for it. Now I just need to come up with the money. My son is pretty excited about racing. I think he will learn fast. It will be nice to have 2 riders to cheer on now.

I have to tell you that I had a 96 rm 125 in 2002 I found it almost new condition.I was beating 250's and Honda 450's.It was a very fun bike.I know the 4 strokes are great hey I have one and will never go back but in the lower ranks it is the rider not the bike.But if getting a 4 stroke gets you son excited again that is great.Also tell your son that John Dowd did not start his Pro carrier until he was 26.Good luck

I have to tell you that I had a 96 rm 125 in 2002 I found it almost new condition.I was beating 250's and Honda 450's.It was a very fun bike.I know the 4 strokes are great hey I have one and will never go back but in the lower ranks it is the rider not the bike.But if getting a 4 stroke gets you son excited again that is great.Also tell your son that John Dowd did not start his Pro carrier until he was 26.Good luck

I agree with the rider being more important than the bike. When I bought the kx65 for my son all of our friends at the track said we needed to get the KTM because it is better. It is also alot more money. When my son gets to the point where his bike is holding him back then I will worry about it. I think with my older son he would have been embarrassed since most everyone at the track is on newer 4 strokes.

i rode my 97 yz 250 at the track all the time. didnt care about ne one else on their brand new bikes, sure i wanted one but i was having fun. but once i hopped on my buddies 06 crf 250, it was over. 1 week later, convinced the parents to get me one. love the bike to death. ur son will have a lot of fun on the 4 stroke.

I have a 12 year old son and he could care less what he rides but I guess when you turn 16 It is all about appearances.Got to look good for the babes :thumbsup: .One thing I have to say if you feel good about your ride you become a better rider.

I have a 12 year old son and he could care less what he rides but I guess when you turn 16 It is all about appearances.Got to look good for the babes :thumbsup: .One thing I have to say if you feel good about your ride you become a better rider.

Ha, I was just about to say the same thing.