Sign in to follow this  

motor trouble

me and my dad have matching 03' 230s about a month ago we were riding and it started not really knocking but making a funny noise and would loose power if you got upin the revs so we parked it and tore it down and the piston seemed to be turned sideways or it was a ring failure i dont know what happened we had to replace everything piston,rings,cylinder so i was wondering if this was a common occurance. has this happened to anyone else thanks for input.

no it's not common. these bikes usually last for ages unless neglected

Sideways piston? You wouldn't happen to have pictues of that, would you? :thumbsup: Just kidding, I'm sure it was just a poor choice of wording.

How often do you change the oil in your 230's? Should be done every 300 miles or 3 tanks full of gas. How about air filter cleaning? Clean and reoil filter at each oil change. More often in dusty conditions. Be certian you use foam air filter oil, not engine oil. Be certian filter is installed correctly. Any gaps in fliter to seat area will alow dirt into engine. Do you check rocker to vavle clearance once or twice a year? Do you check cam chain once or twice a year? Get yourself a Honda Service Manual from your local dealer ($30) and keep up on the maintenance.

yeah they were neglected if you took some time in maintaining your bike this probably wouldn't have happened.

yeah they were neglected if you took some time in maintaining your bike this probably wouldn't have happened.

Neglected?...Possibly. Bad batch of parts?...Possible.

I see no point in jumping to conclusions and accusing someone of neglecting their bike when it's very possible that something was done wrong in assembly or something else like that.

That much a catastrophic failure had to happen from something major.

That much a catastrophic failure had to happen from something major.

Running with no oil is major.

It's a Honda. Chances are good the problem came from lack of maintenance before a factory fault in the engine.