Sign in to follow this  

interested in cr250

hello,

i am new to two strokes but very interested in one - cr 250 (2001-03)

I read in previous posts many responses, and my view about this bike is quite positive.

I just have a question which bother me. How many hours after, the engine's top end must be rebuid? I am driving mainly in forests, light offroad, easy mx tracks just for fun.

I would like to know what the average is I know I get more than what the manual say's out of my top end but I dont race It and I check the compression ratio often never really kept note of how many hours.

This is what the manual says for cr250 2002-2003

Under racing conditions,the piston and piston rings should be replaced after 7.5 hours of operations.Replace the piston pin and connecting rod small end bearing after 22.5 hours of operation.

yeah but the mauals are wack-o. i wouldnt change my top end after 7.5 hours. hell, i takes an hour just to break it in.

People seem to ask this question alot. There no defined time to do it. You do it when theres a need, when the compression gets too low, when the rings are worn. Yeah, it might be cool to change it aftr 10 hours, but why when you dont have to? change it when it needs to be done.

I just got back into riding but my riding buddy has been riding a CR 250 for many years in the woods, He usually puts a piston every 2 years and a $12 ring every year, He is not a high revving nut but rides it pretty hard and rarely has any trouble with his bike. Once you get used to doing it it really doesn't take very long, He helped me rebuild my 95 CR250 and when we did the piston&ring it only took us about anhour and a half taking our time.

Dauntae

Thanx for information. Thats what I was looking for. All my friends (riders/mechanics), who ride in mx, couldn't answer to it, as they rebuild top end very often :ride:

There are no amateur two strokers in our area, so it is hard to collect info :applause:

Also does your friend use oem parts or some aftermarket and does he change only piston/rings, or rebuild whole engine - crankshaft bearings, etc :thumbsup:

I just got back into riding but my riding buddy has been riding a CR 250 for many years in the woods, He usually puts a piston every 2 years and a $12 ring every year, He is not a high revving nut but rides it pretty hard and rarely has any trouble with his bike. Once you get used to doing it it really doesn't take very long, He helped me rebuild my 95 CR250 and when we did the piston&ring it only took us about anhour and a half taking our time.

Dauntae

it depends on a lot of things on how ofter you rebuild your topend. depending on how hard you rev the bike,how good your air filter maintence is and how good you premix oil is. serious racers rebuild there topends after every race but if your not gonna be racing the bike it would probly pay to check the topend every 30 hours just to be safe.