400S bang for buck power mods

I checked out the DRZ info site, did numerous searches here to avoid redundant questions but I still have more questions about power increasing mods on the 400S. Specifically what gives the most bang for the buck.

Here's the plan for now, 14 - 47 sprockets (seems like a cheap improvement) 3X3 mod, rejet stock carb. This is just for starters until I can save some more pennies.

Now to spend some money, what next? exhaust? base gasket? cams? drop the bucks for an FCR39 carb?

Which of these mods or combo yields the best perfomance increase also with cost as a consideration?

Thanks for answering my newbie questions.

FCR first.

The exhaust is good if you can ride noisy, if you're going to ride with the insert, you may as well put your money into other mods and keep the stocker.

I ride my S back and forth to work wide open, and I only use the insert for dirt riding.

Cams, base gasket, big bore, valves, head porting. All good, and as the money comes in, but FCR first.

:ride: That FCR must be like heroine in carb form. I was afraid of that! thanks. looks like I will be about $500 bucks poorer

Try the re jet on the stock carb first. I have over 7,000 miles on my '05 and I'm satisfied with the power(most of the time).And my other bike is a KTM 525. :applause:

I also did the end cap mod ? which some say does nothing but make more noise. But it's not too loud , and I think it made a difference in performance.

welcome to the addiction of modifying the drz . I've ran my 05s with the 3x3 dynojet needle and jet changes with yosh full stainless , then went to fcr mx and back to stock pipe all with stock spockets. Both set ups are great , I would say rejetting realy reshapes power equaling fun. with the fcr, pulls harder longer and revs faster equalling fun plus some adrenaline in the top third of power . I went back to stock pipe as open yosh to loud for me. I share a work parking lot with a police station and that would be pushing it , with the new tec insert the yosh becomes wasted dollars. in terms of performance.

welcome to the addiction of modifying the drz . I've ran my 05s with the 3x3 dynojet needle and jet changes with yosh full stainless , then went to fcr mx and back to stock pipe all with stock spockets. Both set ups are great , I would say rejetting realy reshapes power equaling fun. with the fcr, pulls harder longer and revs faster equalling fun plus some adrenaline in the top third of power . I went back to stock pipe as open yosh to loud for me. I share a work parking lot with a police station and that would be pushing it , with the new tec insert the yosh becomes wasted dollars. in terms of performance.

Thanks for the insight. did you notice much difference when you went from the yosh back to the stock pipe? How about something like the FMF Q for noise considerations? I will probably take this slow for starters, 3X3, dynojet while waiting for the FCR to come in. maybe a full aftermarket exhaust, but it seems like the stock exhaust does fairly well, albeit a bit on the heavy side.

It sure looks like its easy to get way out of control here, big bore kit, cams, base gasket, ported head etc. Before ya know it youre up to the price of the KTM 450 exc. ?

Thanks again for all the responses getting me pointed in the right direction. A little off thread, but what could I do to put the S on a diet? Is it feasible to have it lose about 30 lbs? Other than the usual stuff, losing the mirrors, rear pegs, lights, smog canister, exhaust etc. What kind of weight loss program would you guys recommend?

I'm quickly realizing that one bike is not going to do it all. I guess its all just a question of money ?

thats because your bike was way rich at 4600ft.

at sea level you cannot cut the hole with out rejetting.

So given that's true... would there be any added benefit for me to do a dynojet kit at this altitude. Just curious, don't plan to do it as I'm waiting on the FCR/Mx carb before re-jetting.

the pipe comparision was only after installing the fcr carb and I did not actually fine tune the main jet when I compared pipes, recommended jet for stock pipe 155 main and 157 for yosh with tec. insert. I tested both pipes with the 155 and thought the stock pipe was better particularly for perfect ( smooth) throttle response .yosh rs 3 ss is a nice pipe and sounds great even with the insert I will install the 160 main and run the yosh wfo at least once but I know it's to loud and will wind up stock. there are dyno charts posted here showing many set ups .

If you really want cheap... I did the following for around 200 bucks. It is certainly no racer DRZ, but it really woke it up compared to stock.

3x3

Dynojet kit

E base gasket

E intake cam

E exhaust

I'm happy with the gains (of course, I still want more) but I feel it gave me quite a bit more off the bottom. I'm sure if I added an FCR to the mix it would be even better, but 500 bucks is 500 bucks any way you slice it.