Sign in to follow this  

Strange noise from the top end

i just finished rebuilding the engine, made sure the cams were on correctly and their timing was right... started on first kick and i hear this loud TACK TACK TACK sound commin from the head, could it be that the timing was off or could it be somthing else?

Did you make sure that the bearings are seated in their slots correctly? If not they will rub and make noise.

i may be in over my head with this, but its not a sound that the bearings would probly make, its a really loud, blunt tapping sound

Call me back ltk_esoterik. I just read your PM and I would suggest new valves at this point. Better safe than sorry. Your valves were hitting your piston and that is what you were hearing. Call me and I will explain.

Thanks,

OWENLO :thumbsup:

Which way was the timing off? If the intake cam was advanced, then the noise you heard was the piston hitting the valves. If this was the case, then you probably now have bent intake valves and possible other damage. Tear it down and fix the problems before the engine self destructs.

Which way was the timing off? If the intake cam was advanced, then the noise you heard was the piston hitting the valves. If this was the case, then you probably now have bent intake valves and possible other damage. Tear it down and fix the problems before the engine self destructs.

If the timing was that far off; would it start?