Sign in to follow this  

06 250F Rear Shock Locked in extended position

One of our 06 250F rear shock is locked up in the extend position. there is some movement but it stroke is real short. Any ideas, causes?

Thanks

man you guys are hard on parts. :thumbsup:

shim broke, hydralic locked, nut came off and piston is tilted, sand under seal head stuck rod, i don't think a burst bladder would cause this........

gotta open it up.

Thanks Steve! Bike was fine when we brought it home last week. He had it sitting in the sun in our yard for 2 days waiting on me to fix his leaking front forks. i fixed them this afternoon went out to get pizza and when I came back he said the rear won't move. If it is hydraulic lock what causes that?

Thanks

Joe

I'm thinking linkage too. I've had that happen to a couple of bikes, and it's amazing that they can lock up against all that leverage. I'll be interested to know how it comes out.

-Toby

Not linkage the shock is locked, hydraulically. Happened to me on my mountain bike too once. 50 hours

I am betting piston/piston band expanded. It happens on KYB'S here and there! It sounds EXACTLY what occured with my 03 KX250.The only thing is, mine locked up while in action,fortunetly I felt it.I came in,pushing down on the shock feels like your rebound is maxed out, very very stiff, with no travel.My shock was serviced every 15hrs too!

Many parts on Kawasakis are built to lower grade specs. Even though the suspension components are made by Kayaba, they are still spec'd by Kawasaki, and are not usually as high of grade materials or specs as the components on Yamahas.

In this case, the only way to find out what is wrong is to have the shock rebuilt. Then ask the guy who fixes it what was wrong.

Also if you never greased your suspension and swingarm,take the bottom shock bolt off and move your swingarm up and down.See how it feels,your swingarm bearings could be shot.

I am betting piston/piston band expanded. It happens on KYB'S here and there! It sounds EXACTLY what occured with my 03 KX250.The only thing is, mine locked up while in action,fortunetly I felt it.I came in,pushing down on the shock feels like your rebound is maxed out, very very stiff, with no travel.My shock was serviced every 15hrs too!

EXACTLY feels like rebound is maxed out, very very stiff, with little or no travel