Sign in to follow this  

chevy 4.8 V8?

I am looking at an 04 1500 with the 4.8 v8, 4x4 and a 5 speed. is that a good motor? I dont need tons of power, so that isnt an issue. does it get decent mileage? is it reliable?

I am looking at an 04 1500 with the 4.8 v8, 4x4 and a 5 speed. is that a good motor? I dont need tons of power, so that isnt an issue. does it get decent mileage? is it reliable?

its fine and plenty of power. 285hp i think :thumbsup:

only problem with the 1500's is that 35's is the max tire size you want to go.. the 1500 like to break axles with anything bigger :ride:

My father-in-law has that same truck with an automatic. The auto transmission is a POS. I pulled a little 5' x 8' trailer to/from WV with that truck and was very disappointed with the transmission performance. I bet it will be a lot better with the 5 speed :thumbsup:.

its perfect. my brothers got a 2002 gcm sierra 1500, auto, and its fine. its the 4.8 Vortech v8, 294ci. His is a california concept and has 303hp. he doenst use it for towing, but we have towed with it, and it had no problem at all. there reliable engines too. his truck gets about 16mpg

My firend has a 2wd 02 and it has plenty of power, had enough to wrap the truck around a pole. He hasn't had any problems with it and gets some damn good mileage, all highway is in the 20's.

its fine and plenty of power. 285hp i think :thumbsup:

only problem with the 1500's is that 35's is the max tire size you want to go.. the 1500 like to break axles with anything bigger :ride:

Are you kidding, 10 bolts break with stock sized tires. Its not the axles that break its the poor design of a posi, see it everyday.

sounds cool. I am seriously considering buying this to keep for a while so i definatly want something reliable, as it sounds like it is. hopefully i will get a chance to stop down at the bank tomorow and find out if i can get a loan. anyone else have a comment about this truck/motor? what is a good price for what i described? the dealer said they are pretty firm on their asking price of $11700 or somthing like that. its a long bed with 40000 miles.

My firend has a 2wd 02 and it has plenty of power, had enough to wrap the truck around a pole. He hasn't had any problems with it and gets some damn good mileage, all highway is in the 20's.

Are you kidding, 10 bolts break with stock sized tires. Its not the axles that break its the poor design of a posi, see it everyday.

unfortunatly the one i am looking at has oversized tires (not huge, but im not sure what size) and that was one concern that i had.

my brother bought his california concept 2wd 2002 1500 last year from a dealer. 12,200. its super reliable too. it has 123,000!! commutes my brother everyday, nothing ever wrong with it.