Sign in to follow this  

Ride Anchorage August 27?

Anyone up for some riding near Anchorage on Aug 27th? I will be there just one day and have rented a KTM 950. A couple weeks ago, I rented it and rode over 300 miles over Hatcher Pass and a couple other simple dirt roads. I was reluctant to try anything more challenging as I was by myself.

I know the 950 is not a hardcore dirtbike (at least with me on it) but I am up for some more exploring. Please let me know if anyone is up for a little ride. They will pick me up at the Westmark at 0815 and I have to return it by 6pm. :thumbsup:

Would love to, but have to work the 27th. Damn the man for keepin' me down!

Would love to, but have to work the 27th. Damn the man for keepin' me down!

Thanks anyway. Shame you have to work on a Sunday. What do you do?

:thumbsup:

I just bought a '06 WR450F last night. It's made for dirt riding though, not street. You can ride Jim Creek area somewhat with that bike your renting, it's sometimes flooded over, but still, it's a place to ride also vs. nowhere at all. It's in the Butte area near Palmer on the old highway if your interested.

Mark

You can ride Jim Creek area somewhat with that bike your renting, it's sometimes flooded over, but still, it's a place to ride also vs. nowhere at all. It's in the Butte area near Palmer on the old highway if your interested.

Mark

Thanks Mark

I must have ridden right past that area a couple weeks ago as I rode to Palmer via Old Glenn before heading up Palmer Fishhook to Hatcher. Is there a riding area that I can play in without getting too far over my head? How do I find it? :thumbsup:

Thanks again. :ride:

The place on the old glen highway is called Sullivan road. It's the same road that has the drag race track on it. It's easy to find if you get lost, just ask anyone and they will help you. Going out there today to ride and I'll leave a condition report when I get back later today. That shop your renting the bike from, is it next door to the Harley shop in Anchorage? I think they are the only place where you rent a bike I believe if so.

Mark

The place on the old glen highway is called Sullivan road. It's the same road that has the drag race track on it. It's easy to find if you get lost, just ask anyone and they will help you. Going out there today to ride and I'll leave a condition report when I get back later today. That shop your renting the bike from, is it next door to the Harley shop in Anchorage? I think they are the only place where you rent a bike I believe if so.

:ride:

Mark

Thanks, please let me know how it goes. :applause:

Yes, Alaska Adventure Riders is next to the Harley dealer out by the airport. They were great when I rented a couple weeks ago. :thumbsup:

Ride was great yesterday. Jim Creek is a bit on the high side for crossing w/a bike, but I did see guys trying it, some made it, some fell in and walked accross. Rest of the open land was a blast. There are a few sand hills and lots of side trails to ride around on. Just need to be carefull of the other people who don't always pay attention to you, if you know what I mean, plenty of jerks who drink and try to ride, it's a bummer, but it happends.

Mark :thumbsup:

Ride was great yesterday. Jim Creek is a bit on the high side for crossing w/a bike, but I did see guys trying it, some made it, some fell in and walked accross. Rest of the open land was a blast. There are a few sand hills and lots of side trails to ride around on. Just need to be carefull of the other people who don't always pay attention to you, if you know what I mean, plenty of jerks who drink and try to ride, it's a bummer, but it happends.

Mark :ride:

Sounds great!! :thumbsup: Can you get to the trails without having to cross a river. Small creeks would be OK, but I don't want to attempt deep water on a rented 450# bike. :applause:

Interested in going back on the 27th??? :applause:

Thanks anyway. Shame you have to work on a Sunday. What do you do?

I drive a flying bus. For your bike I think you will like the roads around sutton and chickaloon better than Jim Creek. Fewer drunk quad-tards riding out there also. For your best riding I would recommend driving out to Petersville to explore the mine roads. If the mountain (Denali) is out, you will have an amazing view as well.

I drive a flying bus. For your bike I think you will like the roads around sutton and chickaloon better than Jim Creek. Fewer drunk quad-tards riding out there also. For your best riding I would recommend driving out to Petersville to explore the mine roads. If the mountain (Denali) is out, you will have an amazing view as well.

What kind of bus? :thumbsup:

I imagine I would only have time to ride N to Petersville or NE to Sutton/Chickaloon but not both. Which would you recommend? :ride:

I heard you can ride Sutton area also. Jonesville road is what you take to go up into the mountains and ride. Parking sucks, but still fun, oh yeah, watch for bears!

Mark

I heard you can ride Sutton area also. Jonesville road is what you take to go up into the mountains and ride. Parking sucks, but still fun, oh yeah, watch for bears!

Mark

Thanks Mark. I definitely don't want to go solo into Bear Country.

Please let me know even at the last minute if anyone is up for some riding on the 27th. :thumbsup:

My current flying bus is a 30 seat commuter aircraft. I have also done a bit of flying small aircraft in the bush. Typical Alaska type stuff.

As for Bears, don't worry too much. The are very risk averse, and will hear and smell you coming long before you get there. I have only suprised bears twice on the trail. Both times they ran like crazy! This time of the year they are pretty fat and happy. I guess I still carry a gun though. More important than bears--remember your bug spray and rain gear!

For a one day ride, I would go to petersville. It is easy to find, the roads are perfect for a "big boned" bike, and the view is amazing.

I agree with Peteresville for riding a big bike like you'll be renting/riding. But as for bears, I've seen grizzlys up at both places and they don't care much about bikes, they will still chase you. Yeah, better hope that bike starts when you need it too!!! Get to steppin'...........Black bears always run away, only seen a few brown bears that took some notice we exsisted, then ran away. If you want to, get ahold of me for a ride when your here.Thumperphan, PM for phone number, hope the weather will be decent also for riding.

Mark

'06 WR450F mine

'06 Kodiak 450 4x4 wifes

I agree with Peteresville for riding a big bike like you'll be renting/riding. If you want to, get ahold of me for a ride when your here.

Mark

'06 WR450F mine

'06 Kodiak 450 4x4 wifes

Thanks Mark,

Are you available on the 27th? I get picked up at the Westmark at 0815 and have to turn the bike in at 6pm. Please let me know if you are up for a run to Petersville. :ride:

Mike

Mike, heck yeah. I'm up for some riding anywhere around Palmer area. I'll try to get a few other guys to join also. Weather permitting though. I don't have any rain gear myself. Been pretty rainy here the last few days til later this week. Keep in touch.

Mark :thumbsup:

Mike, heck yeah. I'm up for some riding anywhere around Palmer area. I'll try to get a few other guys to join also. Weather permitting though. I don't have any rain gear myself. Been pretty rainy here the last few days til later this week. Keep in touch.

Mark :ride:

Sounds great!!! :applause: I just don't want to get in too far over my head on a big rented bike. :thumbsup:

Thanks again,

Mike

Mike, did you get my pm with my phone number? Weather has been pretty drab the last week here. I sure hope it picks up, cause riding in rain for you around town let alone where ever we can ride that weekend is not gonna be fun if it's rain. But I'm still up for a ride even if it's 50/50 weather.

Mark

Mike, did you get my pm with my phone number? Weather has been pretty drab the last week here. I sure hope it picks up, cause riding in rain for you around town let alone where ever we can ride that weekend is not gonna be fun if it's rain. But I'm still up for a ride even if it's 50/50 weather.

Mark

I just checked my inbox and it was full but no message from you Mark. I deleted a couple messages so there is now room to receive more. Sorry for the confusion. The weather can always be a factor but if we catch a great day it will be all the more awesome.

Look forward to meeting you. :thumbsup:

Mike