Any Tips On Repairing Speedometer ?

for those who have done the solder repair on their speedometer circuit board is there anything i should watch out for when prying the case apart ? is it hard to take apart ?

my speedo started acting funny last night , the complete lcd display would engage at higher revs before showing the actual speed and cycle back and forth , connections are all ok . i figured i might as well catch it now before the screen goes blank .

Mole,

While soldering, place a large metal object behind the printboard, touching the place where you will be soldering, in order to spread some heat.

Otherwise your print plate could start melting, together with the solder, and your speedo will be destroyed for ever :ride:

Wrech savely ?

Noppy

The same thing happened to mine, just last week. It turned out to be a broken ground wire connector inside the main connection bus on the circuit board. Black wire with white tracer, in my case. (See red arrow in photo.)

Pretty easy fix.

The unit came apart and went back together without much hassle at all...

brokenspeedo.jpg

Mine did the same thing about 6 months after I had the bike...I broke the plastic housing in a crash and everytime I washed the bike water was getting in to the assembly and corroding everything...I took it apart/Sprayed the whole electronics board with a spray lubricant approved for electronics...Put the board back in and sealed the plastic housing with GOOP...Two years later and it's still working perfectly...

this site is great , just as previous posts on this problem have pointed out , the solder has cracked on one of the leads to the square black rectifier or whatever its called on the circuit board , it was a hairline crack not obvious with the naked eye i needed a magnifying glass to see it . i guess this would explain why the display went wacky at higher revs and return to normal at lower speeds , now i just need to find someone who can re-solder this for me without farking it up . do you think i should have all three leads resoldered or just the one thats cracked ?

do you think i should have all three leads resoldered or just the one thats cracked ?

I soldered all three on mine, but 2 of them were cracked, and after I re-soldered

them I also glued the component (and several others) to the board with epoxy glue

to give them a bit more support, several get-off's and countless wheelies later, all is still working.

The glue idea was a suggestion from a friend who designs and builds circuit boards for a living.

Neil.

?:ride::applause: