Sign in to follow this  

Cow Mountain Aug 5th

Anyone riding Cow Mtn tomorrow morning?

I'm headed there for the first time. A buddy and I are going to check it out. Any recommendations on trails or areas we need to check out? Anything to beware of?

Thanks!

Soon as you get there, check for maps right near the unloading docks. If there's none there, check up at red mtn camp.

If you like hills, ride anywhere you like! One thing about Cow, if it's marked Black diamond, it's BLACK DIAMOND.

Try taking off on trail 1, right at the end of the parking lot- remember, the trails are 2-way. Work your way around the area from there.

If you get lost, the main road up there divides the area in half. Make your way back to the main road & all's good.

Bring plenty of water & a camera, the views are spectacular!

Rode there this week, nice & cool with a 15mph breeze- hope you get the same. :thumbsup:

Here's the site:

http://www.blm.gov/ca/ukiah/cowmtn.html#southcow

Allways call first- 707 468-4000

don't judge the place by the dust. After a few rains, the place is gold. And don't be suprised if you hit a few dead ends. There are a few trails that just stop.

Is Cow a good place to bring my quad-riding wife? She's a beginner so I'm looking for a place to camp and ride with lots of beginner trails, fire roads, etc... Does Cow fit that bill?

Soon as you get there, check for maps right near the unloading docks. If there's none there, check up at red mtn camp.

If you like hills, ride anywhere you like! One thing about Cow, if it's marked Black diamond, it's BLACK DIAMOND.

Try taking off on trail 1, right at the end of the parking lot- remember, the trails are 2-way. Work your way around the area from there.

If you get lost, the main road up there divides the area in half. Make your way back to the main road & all's good.

Bring plenty of water & a camera, the views are spectacular!

Rode there this week, nice & cool with a 15mph breeze- hope you get the same. :thumbsup:

Here's the site:

http://www.blm.gov/ca/ukiah/cowmtn.html#southcow

Allways call first- 707 468-4000

Thanks Tire!

bosshog,

I live in Crockett, and the quickest way to Cow is up 101 to Ukiah.

Take 37 west outta Vallejo. About 2 miles after you pass Sears Point (Infineon raceway), You'll hit Lakeville rd. on your right. Take that to Petaluma and pick up 101 north. Directions from Ukiah are on the website.

dpop24,

Cow has about 20 mi. of easy trails, and not all of them are linked together- kinda tough for a beginning quad rider. Camping...if you like trying to sleep with drunkin yahoos woopin' it up all night...... :ride:

G'nK-ville,

With all the wind up there last week, the dust was minimal on the trails, real sweet. :thumbsup: Now the main rd, well...when ain't it a PITA! It's either slippery or dusty... :applause:

We had a great time at CM yesterday. The weather was perfect and the views were awesome. We couldn't find maps at any of the camping or staging areas. That made it confusing trying to figure out where we were headed and how we could get back or loop around.

Trails were a little dusty, but as expected for this time of year. There were only two of us, so it wasn't a problem.

What's with the unpaved road to the entrance? That must be a PITA during winter.

Best part is that there was NOBODY there. I counted 10 cars total at all staging areas. Wow. Never crossed anyone out on a trail. That was pretty damn nice.

Thanks for the great info Tire! I will definitely be heading back to CM in the future.

10 cars? That IS crowded!

Glad to hear you all had a good time. :thumbsup:

Call that number and getta hold of a real person, have'm mail ya a map...

One thing about Cow, if it's marked Black diamond, it's BLACK DIAMOND.

I was quite disappointed in their black diamond trails. Very easy to ride. I'm not a great rider by any means....my lil brother who has ridden maybe 5-6 times rode my wifes CRF230 on these so-called black diamonds and survived them all. I've only been up there twice as its a 3hour drive for me so I haven't seen everything. The dust is out of control in the summer. My buddy and I had to ride 500 ft apart.

It was real dusty up at littlestony too.It was so bad we were riding alone we were so far apart. No wind either and nobody around it was still FUN.Those hill climbs and down hills are CRAZY this time of year a little loose terrain.