Sign in to follow this  

Fork help XR200

Went riding today on an ATV track. Trying not to jump too high and bottom out but came down hard a few times. Notice my right fork dripping oil. Pull up the boot and the little retainer clip is out and the seal is pushed up. I pushed it back down and reseated the clip, it held up the rest of the day. I think I lost a good bit of oil so I'm sure I need more. What should I do now, besides stay off of these tracks. :thumbsup: Thanks , Guy

Ideally you should drain both forks and replace the oil. In a pinch, you could just add some more oil to the leg that was leaking. Per my Clymer's manual, you want the oil level 116mm (4.6 in) from the top when the springs are removed and the forks are fully compressed. This takes about 377cc or 12.8 oz when the frok is completely dry.

10wt. fork oil of ATF will work.

When you service your forks, just make sure that you don't put more than the maximum recommended amount of oil in each leg. If you overfill them you can have a hydraulic lock which can blow oil by the seals or blow a seal out.

Then before you get on the ATV track, bleed off the air in the forks by depressing the valve stems in the top nuts. The air in the front forks build as it heats up while riding. Contrary to common belief, the forks work better when the air is bled off rather than charged with air. I usually do this a few times during the day when trail riding.

I'm not going to go on and on here about your bike not being designed for the track, or tell you you need a new bike. The XR200 is a great all around bike and you can have lots of fun track riding, as long as you understand it's (and your) limitations. There are a few things that you can do to the forks to make them better. Yes better, but still limited as far as track use goes. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the help so far. I may just add some oil for now and drain and fill both in the off season. I do understand the bikes limitations and if I could afford a better one I would get it but I have to work w/ this one for now. I don't ride on track much but I go to tag along w/ my son. Thanks, Guy