Sign in to follow this  

Carburator problem

I have an 03' YZ250F and am having a problem with fuel coming out of the drain tube even though the screw is tight. It does if pretty regularly while riding and I just turn the fuel off for a little while and it goes away. Do I have a hole in my float or what?

no such thing as a hole in your float , tear it down to see if you float is stuck in one place, clean your jets when your at it -nick

You need to check your float bowl height (sounds too high) and check your needle and seat to see if anything has damaged your needle.

okay guys...i checked it out and everything looks fine as far as I can tell. I am now debating whether to have the yamaha shop work on it or try a JD jetting kit. the bike will randomly have gas flow from the drain tube; sometimes it will last 30 minutes of riding before it happens and sometimes 5. It crackles and sputters when ridden at a constant rpm, and just doesn't seem like it is running right. The bike is completely stock. Please give me some advice if you know

Like mentioned above you've got a float problem. If the float is too high, then it allows the fuel level in the carb to get too high, and it runs out the overflow. If the needle valve (which is operated by the float) is dirty or damaged, it won't shut off the fuel flow, and again, it gets too high, and runs our the overflow.

Take the carb off the bike, and measure the float height. It should be 8mm. If that's OK, take the float off, and inspect the needle valve tip and seat. Clean them if they're dirty, and replace them if they're worn. Put it back together and it should be OK.