Sign in to follow this  

Steering stem adjustment/tightening procedure?

Hi all,

I need the steering stem adjustment/tightening procedure for the XR400, 2004. Specifically, the adjustment procedure and torque specifications. If someone has the electronic version of the service manual, or, If someone would be willing to scan the appropriate pages out of the service manual and PM me with the info, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

P.

1)The first thing you need to do is seat the bearings. Tighten the bearing adjustment nut to 22 lbs-ft. Turn the stem from side to side several times. This will seat the bearings.

2) Loosen the bearing adjustment nut. Tighten it again, this time to 3.3 lbs-ft. Install the upper clamp. Install the steering stem nut loosely. Install the fork legs so you can torque the steering stem nut to spec, which is 72 lbs-ft.

In short, that's pretty much it. I've found that I have to play with the bearing adjustment nut a bit to get the steering stem to turn smoothly, just the way I want it.

3.3 Ft lbs before the final top nut torque of 72 ft lbs? 3.3 sounds a bit high. I know I didn’t tighten it that tight previously and the bearings flaked apart in 3 months. Are you certain it's 3.3 ft lbs, or could it be 3.3 in lbs?

1)The first thing you need to do is seat the bearings. Tighten the bearing adjustment nut to 22 lbs-ft. Turn the stem from side to side several times. This will seat the bearings.

2) Loosen the bearing adjustment nut. Tighten it again, this time to 3.3 lbs-ft. Install the upper clamp. Install the steering stem nut loosely. Install the fork legs so you can torque the steering stem nut to spec, which is 72 lbs-ft.

In short, that's pretty much it. I've found that I have to play with the bearing adjustment nut a bit to get the steering stem to turn smoothly, just the way I want it.

yes - 3.3 lbs-ft is the spec (that's barely finger tight). Personally, I don't use a torque wrench for the 3.3 spec, as once you tighten down the top nut, it seems to tighten up the steering too much. Then you have to loosen the top nut, and back off on the locknut and try again until your steering feels appropriate. Oh - make sure your threads are greased on the steering stem when torquing the locknut.

Which "this" are you referring to in "how does this work"?

That site will upload any file you want and allow someone else to download that file through them.