Sign in to follow this  

DRC Light kit from Wheeling

First off, I have to say that Forrest really went out of his way to make sure I got what I needed. :thumbsup:

I am in the process of getting a tag on my "e" model so I needed a good looking tail light and signals. I have never been checked for DOT except with tinted or clear lenses wich are illegal in my state. I saw the "EZ Electric Wire Kit" and thought, "that would be perfect for much less than any other kit!". So I called Wheeling and talked to Forrest about it. It comes set up to run on it's own battery pack and not tie into you bike. I planned on using a relay to turn the system on with the ignition, time constraints led me to simply use power from my headlamp circuit. Anyway I ordered the kit, turn signal mounts for the front, a brake/tail light for a friends CRF250x and a couple spoke wrenches. Forrest was kind enought to swap the Anato tail for an Edge2 and one pair of the blinker for the 586 style surface mounts. He also took the time to check the sizes of the spokes on a TTR125 that was in their shop to make sure I got the right wrench :ride: .

The harness in the kit is very well done and easy to lay out. I simply followed the factory harness and zip tied it (with the included ties) along the way. Each component came with oem style connectors to attach it to the harness. Crimpers for this type connector can be had at Radio Shack for under $8 (telecommunication crimper). Holes were drilled, wires stripped and everything went smoothly. The next time I have the plastic off I will take pics of everything.

The only thing I did not like in the kit was the little piezo horn, I replaced it with the "economy horn" from the Parts Unlimited catalog (my local parts guy was embarrassed to order it). Note the horn mounted under the headlight. I highly recommend the kit since although it does not include a headlight, it is much less expensive that the alternatives. I do not think that even with the cost of a Cyclops it will reach the price of a BD kit that with the clear tail would get me harassed in my locale. Now here are some pictures -

07-30-2006_2566.jpg

07-30-2006_2567.jpg

07-30-2006_2570.jpg

07-30-2006_2574.jpg

07-30-2006_2573.jpg

07-30-2006_2575.jpg

So far over 200 miles of dirt roads and trails with no problems at all. :applause:

shrink tube on your front brake wiring.... go to radio shack. other than that, good deal.

Newbie here ,,but can you use the headlight from the E

or do you need the Cyclops or other 3rd party head light

I have an E ,,,and how hard is it to reg your bike in Kansas

or even my E in your state :thumbsup:

I am getting no love from my local tag office.:thumbsup: The method I heard was successful is to get an off road title, then get it inspected, then file for a regular title. I cannot even convince them to issue me an off road title. So I am probably going to let my brother tag it in Oklahoma. I have heard that it is much easier as there is no state inspection for lights, blinkers, etc. If that does not work I will go the Vermont route, you can get all the forms online and file for a non-resident(?) title. :ride:

What is their problem with your bike? Would they tell what you need to do? As long as you meet sound requirements,

have signals, lights,mirrors and DOT approved tires i don't understand what their problem would be. Also is the bike in good working order and in good condition, (safety reasons and emissions) it looks like it. Nice bike! It's probably ignorance on their part! Good luck! :thumbsup::ride:

It is just their robotic repetition of, "this says for off road use only, we cannot issue it a title." For me the easiest and less expensive route will be Oklahoma, if that fails I will try a different county in Kansas.