Sign in to follow this  

ttr 230 converion

idk if it has been done yet, but is it possible to take yz85 inverted forks and put them on the ttr230? and would the stock 230 tire fit in the yz85 forks?? thanks

Ya, you could probably do it, and if it doesn't work you could just sell it to one of the ttr125 guys. Definately worth a try though! I know the 17 and 19 inch rims fit, but if your front wheel is any bigger than that, you will just have to use the yz85 wheel. If I had a 230, I would have tried it.

I tried some old school(late 80's early 90's) yz 80 forks on mt ttr 225 and they were too small and they would have been to soft. But new forks should be bigger and stronger so I dont know. They probably would be softer.

there was a post in the honda thread about how someone put cr250 forks on a crf230.

maybe yz250 forks would work with the ttr.

IMHO: Putting YZ85/80 forks - new model or old model - on the ttr230 wouldn't be much of an improvement. Why replace 43mm forks with . . . 43mm forks?? Get some good stout forks, not those wimpy mini-bike forks.

I have a set of '86 cr250 forks and front tire I purchased on ebay. I still need the brake caliper. The TTR230 caliper won't bolt onto the standard fork mounting holes. I'll have to customize a bit to make the forks fit (spacer for sure) but what I'll have is a set of 48mm forks that will represent an improvement over the current forks. I've spent about $100 including shipping. Others go with the USD forks (but, of course, at a greater expense). And as long as the ttr230 frame will accept the triple clamp stem it's doable, whatever the color bike they come from. The stem of the clamps I have fits so I'll measure the stem diameter tonight and reply back.

Whatever you end up doing, don't put the 85-sized wheel on the ttr. You'd certainly alter the handling - the front wheel (21" on the ttr) is bigger than the rear wheel (18" on the ttr) for reasons established years ago!!

You can't take forks from a 145lb bike and stick them on a 240lb bike and expect good things. Just get some crf/cr/yz/yzf250 - 450 etc. forks off ebay and make them work. You can score some cheap if you're will to wait. You just might have to make a stem.