Sign in to follow this  

no spark arrester

I have this pipe on my bike that backfires alot, especially after downshifting. It doesn't have a spark arrester. Also, its a pipe "for better performance" and also for big bore engines. (I am running a stocker btw). There are no air leaks or anything like that where you bolt the pipe to the engine, because it was recently in the garage. Unless the pipe has gotten loose in the two hours tops in total riding time since then. Anyways, are those distinct popping noises anything to worry about? The bike runs good and if anyone has suggestions, comments that'd be cool.

ahh crap i've seen that mini'stothemax thing too many times. I hate it! it looks like a lot of work. Especially after putting on +2 forks. My house is the worst cuz my family has no tools! Its a nightmare. luckily i have neighbors who dirtbike. But yeah thanks five0addict. In addition, i have never rejetted! which in case, is the problemo.

Forgot to mention this, but is there any significance in the size of the jet? I don't think a performance pipe would warrant a larger jet? would it?

sweeet: i have this problem so yeah i will take a stab at tuning the carb. :thumbsup:

Examples of tuning problems:

The motor is bogging off the idle; the idle is too low, the engine is too rich or too lean from the air screw. Check your plug! To fix this, turn the air screw in. A a needle clip change may also be needed.

seen it but not read it?

all your questions can be answered using it.

"does a pipe warrant a larger jet?"

"At sea level, a 62 main jet is a good match with an aftermarket (or modified) air filter and an aftermarket (or modified) exhaust system."

carb tuning isnt a pain, all it takes is a 8mm wrench, flathead and phillips head screwdriver. its worth it when your bike runs how it should.

your prbly running the wrong pipe for your application(like most people) so it may never have the throttle responce and tourqe that it used to, but tune it and youll probly get it to where you dont need to complain about it.

while your at it clean the carb with carb cleaner and blow it out with compressed air. clean and lightly oil your airfilter, and put in some fresh gas.

good luck.

How much is carb cleaner about? :thumbsup: Its probably not that expensive. But i am broke cuz i had to buy a rim for my sister's car (long story) and new fins cuz i lost them at the beach and im going to the wedge tommorow to sponge. :ride: