Sign in to follow this  

Rear tyre for TTR 250

Hi mates, i need to change my rear tyre, it still has the original dunlop D605 4.60-18, and now i'm seeing other brands because of the dual sport ride i'm in now.

What size can stand with not too much stress on the engine? i mean a 120/80-18 could be too much for the 250? i like the pirelli mt-21 on 100/100-18 or the mt-40 or mt-70 but both of them in 4.1 -18 size.

What do you recommend fellas :thumbsup:

I don't want to leave the off road capabilities of TTr, the metzeler enduro 1 and 2 were too much on road oriented i guess

The following is from the website TTR250.com regarding dual sport tires (article was last updated in 2004). Note that taller tires may cause problems with clearances.

What tyres are best for on and off road use?

MT43s do it for me! In my opinion, the ideal for UK (muddy and stony) trail riding is probably something knobbly (but road legal) such as a Michelin Comp IV on the front and a trials tyre such as the 4.00x18 Pirelli MT43 on the rear. A word of warning - the MT43 is quite a "tall" tyre and is liable to chew your mudflap and swing arm if you don't give it enough room. Other riders views on tyre choice follow:

Pat Bullen says "After a season's use I can recommend Trelleborgs Army Specials as long lasting, very grippy and suits the TTR's steering geometry well- quite forgiving in ruts for some reason..."

Ian Packer says - Bridgestone TW301 & TW302: Work excellently on road and fine for off road trailing in dry or wet hard conditions. However the tread is too close for deep glutinous mud which will fill them and not get thrown out - they turn into slicks. Still usable on trails provided care taken in mud. Wear rates are very good.

Michelin Enduro comp 3 & comp 4: Excellent for muddy ruts and loose sloppy conditions. Throws the mud out well and grips well and predictably in all conditions. Soft compound so high wear rates on hard surfaces. Feel horrible on road particular above 60 mph. Perfect tyre for the British winter off road.

Brian Morris (Thailand) says "Fitted a set of Bridgestone ED 660 /661 at Christmas 2004 . They are DOT approved . Both tires have very good grip in most conditions but back tire wore very quickly and have had to replace already. Front tire is still perfect ."

Some recent recommendations include the Michelin AC10 - a road legal MX tyre. Apparently good in mud, and with the large blocks, will last a long time. Down side is that you will not be able to do UK rallies on them as they are illegal for most rally and enduro use.

Hi mates, i need to change my rear tyre, it still has the original dunlop D605 4.60-18, and now i'm seeing other brands because of the dual sport ride i'm in now.

What size can stand with not too much stress on the engine? i mean a 120/80-18 could be too much for the 250? i like the pirelli mt-21 on 100/100-18 or the mt-40 or mt-70 but both of them in 4.1 -18 size.

What do you recommend fellas :thumbsup:

I don't want to leave the off road capabilities of TTr, the metzeler enduro 1 and 2 were too much on road oriented i guess

I have the Dunlop D952 110/90-18 on my bike and I didn't really notice the engine working harder than when it had the D739 100/100-18. I think a 120/90-18 is overkill for the TT-R 250 though...the bike really doesn't have the kinda power to justify a tire that big.

I'm seeing a Pirelli mt-90 scorpion A/T 100/90-18, would be too small for rocky road? i mean, a smash through the rim, it's only 90 mm thick against de 100 mm of 100/100-18

I'm seeing a Pirelli mt-90 scorpion A/T 100/90-18, would be too small for rocky road? i mean, a smash through the rim, it's only 90 mm thick against de 100 mm of 100/100-18

I think a 100/90-18 would be okay if thats all you have access to. If you have a choice between that and a 100/100-18, get the 100/100-18 :thumbsup: