Sign in to follow this  

Just Joined

Hi everyone at TT. I just bought a 2006 DRZ400S last month and I've been reading many of the posts. Particularly the thread about "breaking in".I'm too old to be going WFO anymore but you have to wonder if the people who wrote the manual ever rode the bike. Shifting into 5th at 30 mph is a little sluggish! I just reached the 600 mile mark and did the first oil change. I filed down the gearshift lever and ordered the TT case shields.Installed acerbis handguards,a devol skidplate and flatland rad guards. The rad guards both required some modifications. The left one would rub on the fork clamp bolt heads,the horn mount on the right had to be moved so the fuel tank would not hit the horn.

Anyway I'm looking forward to talking to everyone in the future and thanks for a great forum.

Welcome! I installed the Unabiker rad guards and had to modify them too. It seems quite normal to have to "massage" aftermarket parts.

Good luck with your machine and riding!

Welcome!

As you know you've come to the right place for info.

The people and resources on here are the best. Enjoy TT and your new bike!! :thumbsup::ride:

Like was once said By Gun and Roses, Welcome to the Jungle. At least your DRZ is set up for it! Like you said never to old. Old is a number.

bienvenue

you will find lots of info here to help you get the most out of your ride and keep it running. The break-in proceedure of the manual is not really recommended (even by dealer mechanics I talked to) but you should NOT run it wfo at first. You should load the rings with high cylinder pressures (large thottle opennings) for bursts up to about 2/3 revs, then let it coast down on back pressure to about 1/3 revs and back up -no need to do it continuously after the first 10 minutes or so, just keep the revs changing and load and unload the engine often. 80% of break-in happens in the first 10 minutes. The remaining 9:50hours is final polishing-you're in that stage now so forget it and ride. Tractor mechanics around here break in their engines on dynos: max throttle up, back down, up, back down for 5-10hours.