Sign in to follow this  

450 mxc gearing good for dual sport use??

I am considering getting an 02 450mxc to use as a dual sport but am worried that the gearing will be too low for occasional street use. I wouldnt want to gear it up because I will still use it in some 1st gear tight woods riding.Are the mxc and exc very different top end wise?

The 1st gear on the MXC is much higher than that of the EXC and the rest of the MXC ratios are closer than those on the EXC. I think the 6th gear ratios are the same. Although I only run the roads to connect trails, I think the MXC gearing would be ok for the street side of dual sport if you keep the stock (14:48) sprockets. On my MXC, I went to the 14:50 because 1st was too high for the woods riding I do. With 14:50, I can still run highway speeds with comfortable RPMs.

I can't speak for the '02 models, but the '05 EXC has a 14% lower 1st, a 6% lower 2nd and a 5% lower 3rd gear. 4th and 5th are near identical, while 6th gear on the EXC is 24% higher than the MXC.

These gearing differences make the EXC great on the trails and fast roads without having to worry about changing sprockets and choosing between the two extremes of plugging along through rocks or riding the highway.

To get the MXC to chug along like an EXC (14/50) in first gear, you will need to change from your 14/50 (that's what the '05 MXC's had) to either a 14/56 or 13/52. For the MXC to cruise on a highway with an EXC in 6th gear would require about 15/43.

I have an 04 450 mxc and the gearing is vastly different from the exc. More comparable to tho sx in the upper gears. Ohter than the added sixth. It would probably work for dual spart as long as you dont want to go super fast on the interstate. Rode with a abudy on his exc and by his speedo we were going 65 and I was in sixth but not turning much rpms. Figured my 13/52 gearing would be good for about 75 or 80. He has had his exc up to 95 and had some throttle left but said it was getting squirlly on him.