Sign in to follow this  

Question on Eddie's "Pilot jet setting"

Eddie (or others),

What sort of range of operation is normal ?

I can turn it in to about 1 turn out before it gets untidy, go all the way out to about 5 turns before it gets shabby the other way. I use 3.5 as it runs OK and appears to be a popular baseline, but there is precious little difference in the 1.4 to 4.5 range. Is this normal for these carbs ? The old Monoblocs on the Triumphs have a distinctive and narrow sweet spot.

Further to this,

I am chasing a a nagging "cruising just off closed throttle" surge problem. Certainly better with the DJ kit (although the pilot was partially blocked), but still irritating. It is at its worst when running at med revs in a low gear with very little throttle - I know this is not normal operation, but this appears to make the problem most evident, with some fairly violent pops and misfires.

Related to the pilot concerns, or should I up the needle a notch as suggested by DJ kit ?

I have an 05 SM with Mikuni (UK specs), DJ stage 1, 22.5 pilot, no 3*3 (yet) and hiflo exhaust.

Cheers

I'm working through the same problem now... no solution yet. :thumbsup:

Yes, I've read the sticky, but am still left wondering how narrow the sweet spot should be. If I am not getting a definate change, perhaps there are other issues ?

I am now at 4 turns out - seems to improve the hunting problem, but still considering lifting the needle. Seems rich at idle - no choke required.

Cheers

you wan to be between 1 and 3 turns and still have the bike die or the idle at least get real rough with the fuel screw closed.

Yes Eddie, closed and it dies, but it seems I cannot go out far enough to kill it. Normal ?

How about my needle theory ?

Cheers

you wont be able to kill it by going out unless the pilto jet is much to rich.

after 4 turns or so the screw loses its effect.

try lifting the needle 1 clip.