Sign in to follow this  

Issues with the 300s???

hey guys. so far the 300 sounds great, but a im worried about a few things. for one, ive read in alot of places that they have over heating problems? is this a big wide spread problem? how many people have had this problem? also, ive heard they can be a b!tch to jet and some people just enver get it right. is this true? how big of a deal is it?

and what about other issues? throughout all model years (i may be looking in late 90s, early y2k) i know no bike is perfect, just trying to get the facts straight.

hey guys. so far the 300 sounds great, but a im worried about a few things. for one, ive read in alot of places that they have over heating problems? is this a big wide spread problem?

Not a big problem - it's only by comparison to smaller bikes when riding slow for prolonged periods (under 8 mph). My 300 runs hotter than my 200, but does not overheat.

ive heard they can be a b!tch to jet and some people just enver get it right.

We're talking about jetting perfection. This what people usually discuss.

No bike is perfect - these are only things that happen with a few bikes that people are interested in talking about and maybe even doing something about.

Here's my complaint with the 300 - with all that power, I could use a 6th gear for the greatest versatility (single track to fire road) - that, my friend, would be perfection

Not a big problem - it's only by comparison to smaller bikes when riding slow for prolonged periods (under 8 mph). My 300 runs hotter than my 200, but does not overheat.

ive heard something about a faulty water pump or less than adequate. ever hear of that?

Here's my complaint with the 300 - with all that power, I could use a 6th gear for the greatest versatility (single track to fire road) - that, my friend, would be perfection

yeah thats why i posted a ktm300 vs. gas gas 300. the GG has 6th speed. but i think id be good with the ktm xc-w. i dont ride ultra tight single track. all i have is quad trails, open sand pits, and long fire roads. but id like to make my own single tracks once i get experianced.

ive heard something about a faulty water pump or less than adequate. ever hear of that?

Heard Jeb from KTMTalk complain about his - then someone posted another water pump impeller to try. That's about it.

I ride an older one (2000) and sometimes pretty slow on single track and I have not had it boil yet.

If it was a high frequency problem - I would think it would be all over this board. Afraid I don't know what else to say.

yeah that Jeb guys bike worries me. i haven't been on KTMtalk long, so maybe thats the one i saw and it stuck with me. i know i have been reading alot of his complaints.

I am getting a 300 in the next week or so, whenever I have time to go get it. But I really havent read many issues and I have been looking online for about 4 months.

I wouldn't worry about the jetting...my 300 is jetted better than any motorcycle I've ever owned.

Personally I wouldn't buy one that's older than 2004...maybe '03 if it was a great deal.

I have an 03 mxc, and it took a while to figure the jetting out. Bottom line: get yourself the James Dean needle kit. After that, no worries. As far as overheating/boiling, I've never had that happen. I've ridden just about every altitude imaginable and no problems.

im gonna have to learn all these mods like the james dean needle and the clay head mod etc.

Depending on your needs and/or how picky you are, I bet you can probably get by with just getting the JD needle. If you're still not happy move to that next level.

I run the blue needle (the kit comes with a red and a blue) in the 2nd position, 175 main, 48 pilot, 1-1/2 out on the A.S.

GW

Yeah, my 06 300W has been a PITA to jet and it likes to boil on gnarly hill climbs. Pretty frustrating bike so far. And I have tried both of the JD needles in several clip positions along with several other needles. I'm not alone in this frustration but, by the same token, it doesn't seem to be the norm, either. It seems kind of hit or miss. I'd certainly say it's far more likely to be an issue with the 300 than with any other bike in KTM's big bike line, though.

It's got a great lowend motor which is awesome for hills but it can be a bit much in the single track at times, like in an enduro.

Well.... speaking for myself and three close friends who all bought 06 300 XC's at about the same time I can honestly say that it is with out a doubt the best bike I have ever owned.

I did some reading and changed the jetting one time. It has been spot on ever since and to be honest it wasn't all that off from the factory. Had just a slight bog a part throttle but the new needle fixed that and its been perfect ever since.

The suspension is awesome and turns on a dime. I can slam whoops in 5th gear in the desert with confidence and it handles the nasty root wads we have here on the coast like a hot knife through butta.

The bike starts first kick... hot or cold and has never boiled over even in the mud and slop that we had here this past winter and spring.

Of the 4 bikes I have personal knowledge of, 2 of the 4 have had the gas cap leak. One has a counter shaft sprocket leaking because he tightened his chain too tight, but other than that there have been no issues to report. Just lots and lots of happy miles.

Buy one! You won't be sorry. :thumbsup:

The fork seals require attention. I finally just did what the manual on my WR426 said to do which is pack waterproof grease in the dust cap. I have an occasional weeping seal but have not lost one yet on my 04'.

My bike did start to overheat a little on my last ride. This was not the typical riding that I do however. I was in Taylor Park at 12,500' climbing gnarly, slow singletrack that was very steep and rocky. I do have Unabike radiator guards as well so this may reduce a little airflow.

Here's a lower section where a jeep trail connects the singletrack.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/sjriott/Taylor%20Park/MeintheRocks.jpg

At the top. You can see trails down below and some on the far mountain side.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v218/sjriott/Taylor%20Park/EastTowardsBuenaVista12400Feet.jpg

I was in Taylor Park at 12,500' climbing gnarly, slow singletrack that was very steep and rocky.

We were in that same area last year. My buddy's 05 was heating up a bit too and blowing some steam. Mine never did. Once I got him to riding a gear higher (when the trail allowed, his bike did much better). We actually got up to 13,000+!

I'm a fan of the 03, seems to not have a lot of the issues some of the newer bikes have. Not that I'm partial :thumbsup:

But, as you said, the fork seal thing is a pain. I went to the Synergy's after the first two sets of stockers failed. They don't LEAK, but they seem sticky. Bottom line is KTM forks require regular cleaning via pulling the wipers down and doing the film trick to drag out the gunk. It's a fact of life with my bike.

KTM seems to have mostly fixed that issue on the newer bikes. I know they went to a new double lip seal a couple of years ago now. I've not had to replace a fork seal on either my 04 or 06 but I did go through a bunch on my 03.

The grease thing has worked great for me. Same with my buddies 02' 400 EXC. He was going through seals like crazy till we did this.

Well I just got thru doing a ride this weekend with my new KTM 300 and it was well over 100 degrees when we were riding in Mena Ark. I never once had a boiling over issue at all and the bike ran flawlessly. I think the power was just right and had it when I needed it. Thumbs up on this end..........peace

I have a 99 MXC and love it. No issues with this bike, goes for jetting or fork seals (has conventional forks in 99). No over heating problems either.

I second the vote for Synergy Seals. My forks leaked frequently until I switched over to Synergy.

I ride in Arizona and I've never overheated. I ride with a guy that has an 04 300 and he hasn't overheated yet. I have seen the 400's and 200's overheat on the same trails though.