Sign in to follow this  

Racing??

Okay okay, i have to ask this. I think it would be pretty cool to turn a CRF230F into a somewhat competitive bike. Like take a stock 230, add a big bore kit, camshaft, BBR exhaust or something equal, airfilter, and uncork it, then slap on some CR250R or Cr125R forks or other various inverted forks ive been seeing on these forums, and then add a works shock. How much hp you think that would be and dont you guys think that would make it somewhat competitive or atleast be able to handle a MX track? And dont you think those mods would be under $1500 (saying that the forks are off of e-bay or used)? Would those engine mods increase the maintenance or would it still be like stock and last for years without having to do a topend or valve job?

Feel free to comment on anything you would like, i would really like to hear your guys opinions on this. Hopefully i will never have to sell my CRF250R and do this :thumbsup: . But it would still be cool i think.

i think it would be alright but the weight kills it.

yea dude the weight totally kills it....the 230 has an awesome engine but u will most likely never see all of its potential because its all used up pulling a heavy ass bike behind it. if u slap that motor in a aluminum cr85 frame somehow u be flying high bro

I know that everything you mention is doable because I'm there already with one of my CRF230's. However, even if you score a good deal on everything needed on e-bay or elsewhere, it will end up costing you a lot more than $1500.00.

You might be close at double that figure, say @3,000.00. So there lies the dilemna, should you spend the "double" the price on a CRF230 or just buy a CRF250R/X ??

For many the choice is easy, just spend the extra dough on a sweet CRF250 R or X and enjoy!

But for others (like me) The R or X doesn't fit their style. The competion based bikes do have alot of "peak" power, but the power band is far too narrow for many riders' taste. While water cooling is necessary for race bikes, to me it is another potential failure or problem when far away from camp.

I have seen far too many trashed radiators and stranded riders out on the trail. A lot of times it means turning around and/or giving someone a ride back to staging areas, no fun. IMHO, water cooling has no place on a true trail bike. air-cooling is much more reliable.

The Hondas radiators seem to be ground magnets for some reason! Even simple tip overs make you hold your breath and hope the radiator is smashed. Ive even had to end a days ride before it even started because a guy dumped his CRF250 when unloading it and smashed the radiator. Bummer.

These guys used to always ridicule me about my "girly" bike. That is until AFTER our ride when they find a new found respect for its low rpm grunt, tractability and overall capability. I've owned and ridden numerous bikes over the years. My modded CRF230 is the best all-round trail bike I've ever had, period.

Anyways, if you sink a bundle of cash into your CRF150 or 230, you should do it with your head held high. You will be making a good bike better. Besides, the hi maintenance costs alone will end up adding a lot of expenditure to your riding budget if campaining the other bikes, especially if its performed by the dealer. The air-cooled bikes seem to hold their value better too....

If racing is your focus, then the air-cooled bikes obviously are at a clear disadvantage. Fortunately, many areas have classes for air-cooled bikes and/or 150 classes specifically. When competing against similar machines the fun returns, but the spending begins!

Good luck and ride safely.

Coeshow said it pretty well. It is all a matter of what you like and what you chose to do.

A CRF230...a race bike? Sure, Team Old School has been running a modified drum brake XR200R and might I say they have performed well in an off road environment...actually very impressive results that they should be very proud of. They even ran it in the Idaho City ISDE Qualifier and finished...more than can be said of many people that brought the latest/greatest off road bikes. But even they will tell you there are limitations. Do a search in the XR80-200 forum for the the Old School posts...you shall see.

Nothing you are considering is cheap, inexpensive, or any other similar one word statement. Realistically, the correct statements are expensive, labor intensive, and time consuming...however it will be built to what exactly you desire. They do not manufacture the perfect bike for you...it does not exist. If that was the case someone in the TT family would have pointed out the "everybody's perfect bike" that has been manufactured. If any one could make this mythical bike...they could put everyone else out of business.

In my years, I have finally come to the conclusion that the best bike is not some mythical entity, it is sitting in your garage right under your nose. The choice is if you will make it work to its fullest potential with you at the controls.

If I could name a project that I would truely like to have the technical expertise to complete is a totally modded 230 motor in a late model CR125/250 chassis. It could keep all mx ergos, as the fuel tanks are approximately the same size, but you would have the additional option of going larger for over 100 mile range also with addition of a Clarke, Acerbis, or IMS larger fuel tank. The current rads could some how be used for auxillary oil capacity and cooling. There were a couple older XR250 big bores grafted into mx chassis' manufactured in the late 90's with oil cooling via the original radiators like suggested. It would be a full showa suspended aluminum chassis CRF251R... so 86cc-200 2t/250F off road class legal. :thumbsup:

I know what you guys are saying, but i have a CRF250R for competitive racing, but i was mainly asking: wouldnt a bike with the above mods be able to handle a motocross track easily and be able to keep up with atleast 85's? And what about maintenance with the engine mods described above? Is it the same as a race bike or like a normal CRF230F? as in not very much besides, airfilter, oil changes, chain tightening, the basics like that. I mainly wondering this stuff, cuz i race 125 novice, but i always see these cool mods for the 150/230, but ppl are only using them for the trails, and it seems like a bike with the above mods that i mentioned, would be able to handle a mx track. The only downfall would be the weight of the bike.

Yes...a bike as described would do well in lots of different environments. With that said, I don't think even a fully tuned 230 with USD forks and aftermarket shock will perform as well as most off the floor mx specific bikes in the MX environment.

It is pretty hard to change the true reliable character of the 230 motor, even being modded. I would venture to say it still has much better reliability and longevity than most 250F's if engine mods are done logically, properly, and competently.

Understand that most full-on race prepped 230 motors still only get as much HP as an uncorked/stock CRF250X, but more peak torque. Also the character and location of the power is different. The 230 maintains alot of its old school character, which I happen to thoroughly enjoy.

And if tommorrow Honda placed a updated design 230/250cc air cooled motor in a CRF250X chassis...I would be the first one in line to buy it and would pay full MSRP + all the other BS charges that stealerships like to pile on.

mcdrz,

You and I do think much alike! I am considering doing exactly as you mentioned! I am going to install one of my Modded 230 engines into a late model CR chassis.

Like you, I would also welcome the hypothetical Honda you dream of!

The current 4 stroke 250cc engines do nothing for me. The peak power is hi, but the delivery and reliability are not to my liking.

Thirty_Four,

I feel you can modify your CRF230 to do just about anything you can muster up! The aftermarket is offering lots of bits and pieces for these bikes!

When you're ready to make some power out of your engine, contact me. I specialize in CRF150/230 engine performance.

Good luck and ride safely.

Okay, thanks again everyone for your responses, the main thing i was wondering about was if you extensively modded the engine, or even mildly extensive modded, would it have the same maintenance as a race bike, or does it stay the same as a stock 230f engine maintenance, and i think i got that answered. Thanks.