Sign in to follow this  

PC496 for CRF 450X

Hi,

I recently bought a PC496, performant, lighter and nicer than stock but really noisy.

Any idea to reduce Db level with it ?

Any news reg. billy who ?

Jean-Patrick ( France )

50 fantic motor '76, RC 50'77, SWM rotax 125 '78, Fantic 125 ' 79, Ancillotti 125 '80, Cagiva 125 RX' 81 , 2 X 125 Cagiva WRX '82/83, 2 x Cagiva WMXZ 125 '84/85, Maïco 250 '86, KTM 250 '87, KTM 250 '88, KTM 250 '89, Honda enduro 250 '90, Honda enduro 250 '91, Yam WR250 '92, Yam WRZ 250 '94, WRZ 250 '96, WRZ 250 '98 , 2 x Wrz 250 '00, WRZ 250 '02, CRF HM 450 '03, CRF 450X '05. and so much to come...

the 496 is 94 Dbs on my R which has a larger header and cam and it is the hands down best offroad muffler out there that meets california sound. American honda runs it for their offroad bikes and they can run whatever they want...

You dont need it any queiter. If its legal in California its legal anywhere!

I have to agree, I have that pipe and header on my bike and it is not loud.

05 450R with FMF Carbon 4.1 with powerbomb, throaty and loud.

06 450X with 496 with header, not loud unless you compare to stock.

Thanks to all for your help.

For those who have a PC 496 on a 450X, have you re-installed the OEM bracket at junction with header. Normally, i'd do that, but OEM doesn't fit with PC 496. May i have to place a basic one ?

Maybe this noisy level could occur from this non-re-installed bracket ? but junction are so tigh, when i installed it for the 1st time i use a lot of grease and put header on the fridge...

Who knows ?

My header wouldn't fit either that is why I bought a pro circuit header. It didn't make me happy that the stocker wouldn't fit. $200 more dollars on something I didn't really need. Then the pro circuit one was hard to put on as well. :ride:

Great pipe once you forget about that. :thumbsup:

OK, i think to have my answer.

A quiet tip is proposed by PC. But there are two sizes : 3.5 & 4. What is this size ? diameter ? lenght ? which one is the quietest ?

One coke offered to the guy who have the correct answer !

My header wouldn't fit either that is why I bought a pro circuit header. It didn't make me happy that the stocker wouldn't fit. $200 more dollars on something I didn't really need. Then the pro circuit one was hard to put on as well. :applause:

Great pipe once you forget about that. :ride:

I had to grind my stock header a little and grease it up to get the 496 on it. Def. not something I want to do again in the near future :thumbsup:

OK, i think to have my answer.

A quiet tip is proposed by PC. But there are two sizes : 3.5 & 4. What is this size ? diameter ? lenght ? which one is the quietest ?

One coke offered to the guy who have the correct answer !

If you have the Type 496, your bike already has the quiet tip on it! The quiet tip is marketed towards those who have the T-4 to quiet that pipe (barely). I'll see if I can get pics of the T-4 tip and the type 496 tip up later

Many thanks for your help Sanfilippo. I ordered this BN PC496 on ebay and when i removed the cap, a round plate with a tube and after a Spark arrestor like a cone, no more. Later on, on ebay austria or germany a guy sold his PC 496 and shown two kind of tube, like a ring, one thick and one thinner. So, i guess, you insert inside the round plate with the tube to reduce noise depending on where you ride.

I would liked to discuss with this german guy but my german is poorer than my english. Too bad !

So, i need to see these inserts and understand PC size 3.5 & 4. On PC website when you're abroad you can't reach them. They push you to contact your "friendly" importer and when contacted they don't know anything !

Quadrature of the cercle ! (I don't know if it used in english tongue ?)

Hi Sanfilippo and once again, thanks.

I only got the quiet plate according to your pics, are they for a 496 ? but,

On ebay i've seen this auction. Take a look on pic #4. You'll see the round

plate with two tubes. So, what to think about it ??

Best

JP

When you got it apart, you might as well repack it, too. Sounds like you got it used, so I'd bet the packing is shot. Repack it and it should be a lot quieter. :thumbsup::ride:

If you follow this link :

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&item=300014398542&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3APIC&rd=1

On one of the four pics, one with detailed round plate with in the middle tube is what i have and two "tubes only", one thin and one thick, this is what i surely need.

I have never seen those 2 tubes before. My guess is they slip into the tip to decrease the inside diameter of the pipe to make it quieter

It's my feeling too !

A 450 EXC KTM Factory friend of mine bought an Akrapovic and at 1 st ride, it was like a motocross Grand prix when we rode. As i'm ride since 76, and from the beggining, very concerned with our Image, due to Mountain willderness and stupid people, i was really disturbed.

We stopped our ridding and he came back to OEM slip-on.

Now he found a quiet insert, more easily than me, 'cause this brand is popular in Europe.

Once again thanks to all for your messages.

If i can help you to find anything here in Europe, just let me know, i'll try.

Jean-Patrick