Sign in to follow this  

How Often Do Bearings Need Replacing?

I'm going through the top end on my little kx80 and putting new piston and rings in it. I'm probably not going to put new crank bearings and stuff in the bottom end because I'm a little short on money right now, but how often should that be done? The bike has gone through 2 top ends (The one I'm doing is the 3rd) and is it taking a HUGE risk not replacing them?

measure the play, if you dont have anything to measure the play correctly move the connecting rod. If it moves more than the manual should then replace the bearing, if not then it is fine. Generally i dont think it would need it but certainly check the play.

ok. Another thing is I'm not the first owner so I don't know how much he changed the oil during those two top ends. Does the oil in the tranny lube those bearings too? and would not changing the oil wear them out faster? I'm just wondering because when I got the bike the oil was pitch black and I don't know if he always had it like that.

Thanks

the oil in the tranny will NOT lube those bearings. A two stroke is gas mixed with oil, so the oil enters the crankcase thround the reed port and then moves through transfer ports to the top end.

It's recommended that you replace them every two years. If there's no up and down play in the connecting rod, you're fine. Just keep an eye on things.