Sign in to follow this  

Any of you like to ride in the Jemez? New Mexico, Forest meeting!

This message is from friend of mine who live in Los Alamos, New Mexico. He and few others try very hard keep our riding areas open.

I can not make any of there meeting because I live in Colorado and too far away from meeting areas, but I wrote many letters to Santa Fe Forest Service. If anyone live in New Mexico likes to ride in trails, please attending the meetings.

Thanks

Hi every body,

Well, it is fish or cut bait time! Below are the dates, times and places for the meetings that the Santa Fe National Forest will hold to discuss the future of "our" riding areas in the Jemez Mountains. The opponents of riding motor vehicles will probably be there in force so it is important that we have a significant turnout. Please don't count on the other guys and gals to save your riding areas-it is up to you to stand up and be counted. The four most important meetings for us to attend are the following-please mark your calendars-obviously, if you would like to attend other meetings it would be great.

Attached is the latest and revised schedule for the Santa Fe National Forest meetings that will discuss, in detail, plans for considering continued use of our "Traditional Trail System" (this is the new designation for "our" trails) in the Jemez Mountains.There are a few changes of meetings dates and places since my last email on this subject, namely; a meeting on September 5th has been added in Los Alamos and the Santa Fe meeting will be at the Unitarian Church.

There are now five meetings I believe we should ALL try to attend. They are;

Espanola

Cuba

Coyote

Santa Fe

Los Alamos

I pick these meetings because these are located near our traditional trails and will generate the most discussion.

Gordy

Meeting times, locations and contacts are as follows:

· Pecos City Hall Joe Reddan, Ranger

August 9, 2006 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm 505-757-6121

· Espanola Mision Convento Sandy Hurlocker, Ranger

August 10, 2006 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm 505-753-7331

· Jemez Ranger District Wallatowa Visitor Center Travis Mosely, Ranger

August 15, 2006 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm 505-829-3535

· Gallisteo Watershed Eldorado Elemetary Joe Reddan, Ranger

August 16, 2006 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm 505-757-6121

· Las Vegas NM Highlands University Joe Reddan, Ranger

August 22, 2006 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm 505-425-3534

· Mora Mora High School (TBD) Joe Reddan, Ranger

August 23, 2006 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm 505-425-3534

· Cuba Senior Center Steve Romero, Ranger

August 24, 2006 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm 505-289-3264

· Coyote Coyote Elementary Francisco Sanchez, Ranger

August 29, 2006 6:30 pm to 9:30 pm 505-638-5526

· Santa Fe Unitarian Church Robert Potts, Planner

August 30, 2006 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm 505-438-7829

· LosAlamos Fuller Lodge Robert Potts, Planner

September 5, 2006 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm 505-438-7829

Just rode the Jemez for the first time yesterday. Found the Alamo Trail and loved it. Logged 70 miles going down to Dixon's Apple Orchard and back up FR289. Will try to make the Jemez Meeting and drag my buds along.

Must be a ton more single track that we missed? Does anyone on TT know this area?

Just rode the Jemez for the first time yesterday. Found the Alamo Trail and loved it. Logged 70 miles going down to Dixon's Apple Orchard and back up FR289. Will try to make the Jemez Meeting and drag my buds along.

Must be a ton more single track that we missed? Does anyone on TT know this area?

Where is the Alamo trail?

A little more.

This is the beginnings of the development of the travel plan for all of the national forests. This will include which roads you can drive on and where you are allowed to camp in the national forest. So if you have a favorite place to go in the forest and camp, you better speak up or you will not be able to go there in a couple of years. The Carson National forest has already has its meeting and has posted its current maps on its web site. Only specific comments on specific areas will be accepted, no blanket comments. Comments for Carson are due by Oct 1, 2006. Santa Fe should be about the same to a month later.

People I can't emphasize enough the importance of attending these meetings.

The forest service is asking for our participation and you know the greenies have nothing better to do but show up and put their hateful spin on everything OHV.

As Gordy said, fish or cut bait.......or my all time favorite...."get busy living or get busy dying"

People I can't emphasize enough the importance of attending these meetings.

The forest service is asking for our participation and you know the greenies have nothing better to do but show up and put their hateful spin on everything OHV.

As Gordy said, fish or cut bait.......or my all time favorite...."get busy living or get busy dying"

hope you guys have a chance to meet Gordy. Gordy is 70 years old and he is very active in land issues more then 35 years and he is working closely with BLM and NF in New Mexico. He is the greatest model for all of us. Gordy is the one maintaining the Jamez Mountains single track trails. When you guys out riding in the single tracks...South and North Jamez trails, if you you guys happen to be encounter person riding a KTM 450 EXC with chain saw...he probably Gordy. Stop and said hello.

Alamo Trail: It connects FR289 with the road that leads to Dixon's Apple Orchard. At least that is what the sign said at the bottom of the trail where it met the road to the orchard (or Canada ?) It was single track with switchbacks and was the most difficult of all the trails we could find. Going up would have been much more challenging in the wet conditions.

This was my first time in the Jemez as I am a relatively new to the area.

hope you guys have a chance to meet Gordy. Gordy is 70 years old and he is very active in land issues more then 35 years and he is working closely with BLM and NF in New Mexico. He is the greatest model for all of us. Gordy is the one maintaining the Jamez Mountains single track trails. When you guys out riding in the single tracks...South and North Jamez trails, if you you guys happen to be encounter person riding a KTM 450 EXC with chain saw...he probably Gordy. Stop and said hello.

Word....... :ride: .... :thumbsup:

Hi again-sorry to bother you but______.

Just a reminder, that our meeting in Espanola (behind the Lotta Burger in building that looks like a church) with the Forest Service is this Thursday from 6-9 PM. If you can't stay for all of it that is not a problem-just show up for a while is fine. I know some of us will be headed for a Ouray ride on Friday- try to make it and sleep on the ride.

The Forest Service will ask that our traditional trails (which is what we now call our trails) meet the following three criteria- safe, fun, and ecologically appropriate. I'll give you a running start in each of these categories but I am sure you have many more thoughts on the subject to add.

Safe-we need trails for various skill levels in order to promote safety. Also, the vast vast majority of us wear the appropriate protective gear.

Fun-we must have numerous loops of 50-100 miles (maybe a little less for some of we much older riders) in order to have an interesting and enjoyable riding experience.

Ecologically appropriate-our traditional trails, with only a few exceptions which can be easily mitigated, are well designed and ecologically appropriate.

Just one more comment-we presently have an excellent relationship with the Santa Fe National Forest personnel and we should try to maintain that relationship since they are the ones who will make the final decisions regarding our trails -unless of course we have the money and inclination to go to court and let a judge decide-I don't do you? It is my belief that we should not "roll over" as John O so aptly puts it but we should rather insist on getting all of our traditional trails in the "initial inventory".

Well just one more comment- bring a family member or friend-numbers count. See ya Thursday in Espanola! Gordy

This will be short and sweet because I'm on my way to Ouray for several days.

Our meeting with the Forest Service in Espanola was very well attended by "our crowd". Thanks so much for all who attended-it was pretty impressive!

There is another very important meeting in Jemez Springs at the Wallatowa Visitor Center next Tue from 6-9PM. I didn't have that one on my list-please try to make it-it is the Jemez District which is the District which has most of our trails.

I attended the Jemez Meeting on the 15th. The biggest take away from the meeting was the Deadline for user trail input which is Sept 30, 2006. Much heartburn in the group (all appeared to be motorized users) about this date and how it was set and how other dates the FS set are more general such as Spring 2007, etc. In other words they want our input but gave a very small window to accept such. The forest planner took the action to look into either extending or phasing in the deadline by Santa Fe district area.

This Motor Vehicle Use - Travel Management Planning process will conclude Dec 31, 2009 and then will be revised thereafter. The end result, available in early 2010 will be a map which will list the only legal motorized trails and various allowable uses, m/c, ATV, 50+", etc. Between now and then there are no changes to existing trail management.....or so we were told.

If you, or someone you know, have trails that may be unknown to the FS, now is the time to make them known. Even dropping by the ABQ FS Office and using a Magic Marker to show your trail was indicated by the FS Planner as an option to providing GPS data.

More info is available for the Santa Fe National Forest plan at: www.fs.fed.us/r3/sfe

Maps with user input added will be avail for download at:

www.fs.fed.us/r3/gis/sfe_gis.shtml

The Forest Planner for this area is Robert Potts:

505 438-7829 (robertpotts@fs.fed.us)