Sign in to follow this  

How strong is braided steel cable?

We own several bikes and I like to be proactive so i have them locked up together with Kryptonite style braided steel cable with commercial master locks. I also have some of those thicker cables that have their own locking mechanism built into the cable. The question i keep wondering about is how strong the cable really is? Can it be cut, burned, or frozen and cracked easily?? How long would it take someone to get one of these cables off?? :thumbsup:

It can be cut fairly easily with a cable cutter or a Partner type saw, the saw would be noisy but it would cut through a Krypt. cable in 15 seconds.

I bought some heavy long chain.

I fed it thru that black foam insulation like used on pipes and such.

Keeps from scratching the crap outta my rims when I chain all 5 bikes together.

And buy a really good lock.

I used a cable (it was 3/8") to lock my gear on my bike at the metro....lasted a whopping month before someone cut it off in broad daylight taking my stuff.

I have since gotten a kryptonite chain and lock (the biggest chain/lock they sell) and use it. It comes with a $1000 garrantee in the event your bike gets took due to breakage/cut of the lock or chain.

$1000? No big deal I suppose, but my bike cost about that, so I'm covered.

Steel braided cable and big chains are only going to keep the honest people from walking off with your bike and equipment. If thieves want it that bad they will figure out a way to take it! NOTHING is theft proof. If they take it I have insurance to cover it. If it is a dirt bike and you don't have street insurance find out if you can insure it under your homeowner policy.

I used a cable (it was 3/8") to lock my gear on my bike at the metro....lasted a whopping month before someone cut it off in broad daylight taking my stuff.

I have since gotten a kryptonite chain and lock (the biggest chain/lock they sell) and use it. It comes with a $1000 garrantee in the event your bike gets took due to breakage/cut of the lock or chain.

$1000? No big deal I suppose, but my bike cost about that, so I'm covered.

how much did that cost you?

thanks

PM me :thumbsup:

when i dont planet on using my bike that much, i chain it to other heavy objects with some really thick cahin, its actuallly 1/2 inch thick links. i also lock locks on my disc because if someone does get through the chain, it will always baffle them why the bike will only move 5 feet and lock up.

about $100.

Make sure you get the 5" version (vs the 3" one).

It weighs about 12 pounds though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=58100&item=7249365090

I run my it through a jacket sleeve, helmet, and a pants leg and then run it through the frame and around a fixed object. I figure that there are easier more valuable things to steal than an $800 chinese bike and $500 of gear locked up with this beast.

Cheers

Pullin'

I use the trimax gladiator armored cable. (72" X 32mm). It has a cable outer over a armored plated steel cups that allow it to be fairly flexible, consideringhow thick the thing is. 32mm is 1.26" by the way. I also use a disc lock up front. I'm sure it's defeatible at some point, but it looks menancing and I have insurance for the pros.