Sign in to follow this  

made the plunge!

well yesterday i went to the dealer and got a great deal on an 06 CRF 450X i paid 6425.00 + 35 bucks setup and tax they gave me 2425.00 for my 2003 XR250 which i was quite happy with. i think i would have had a tough time getting that in the paper. the owner of Apex Sports apparently has a likeing for the XR's and was willing to pay full retail for mine and sold me the CRF for pretty much wholesale.

anyway i have only been able to ride it up and down the street so far and on my initial impressions i think i will have to step up my riding game a bit if i am going to be able to ride this bike as well as i used to ride my xr. i love the fact i can lift the front time with just a twist of the right grip!

i already installed the Trail Tech VAPOR on it and its just plain Sick!

i feel like i have stepped up my game a couple notches with this bike. i cant wait to get it into the woods and see what its made of.

Ive had mine just over a month and i love it, even after the first outing when

nose dived upto the headlight in a very small puddle

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=1716422275905081327&q=toms+farm+enduro

I can tell you it woke me up.

I`ve rode for the last 2yrs with a Rekluse clutch on my YZ426 & CRF250x, so there`s one on order for the 450x.

Congrat's on the new bike. I just bought mine on Monday from Fay Meyers here in Denver. I paid a similar price, but taxes still kill. I just got back from 4 days riding on the flat tops above Glenwood canyon. This bike is awesome. I hope to gear it down a little, for me it needs a little more low end grunt. I had the dealer jet the bike because I was leaving town that night and everything I've read, Honda jet's them lean. The bike ran like a dream. My other/old bike is a 2002 XR400 and I'm used to the tractor grunt that thing puts out. I'm sure you'll love the new bike. Hit the hills ASAP!!!!! :thumbsup:

You will adjust to your new bike quickly. I went from a DRZ400 to the 450X, I thought I bit off more than I could chew, after setting up the suspension(softened the shocks to softest setting) and had the sag set for my weight the bike handled wonderfully. Make sure you set your sag ( have reputable dealer or shop do this for you), bring you boots and helmet and riding gear with you as they have to set the sag according to your weight. I am still running the bike stock except for a 14 tooth front sprocket and a Clarke 3.4 gallon tank. 2500 miles later and the bike runs like new. Also be sure to change your oil frequently and add 1 full quart of transmission oil. See other threads regarding the tranny oil. Have Fun!!!

thanks for the encouragement,

about the oil, i read a few threads and i know why they are using 1 quart. but 1 question.. do you just not check the oil level in the check hole? the manuel says somthing like .6 quart

has anyone noticed any additional oil in the engine side? any oil leaking out? i sure wouldnt want to cause any more problems than i fix.

thanks for the encouragement,

about the oil, i read a few threads and i know why they are using 1 quart. but 1 question.. do you just not check the oil level in the check hole? the manuel says somthing like .6 quart

has anyone noticed any additional oil in the engine side? any oil leaking out? i sure wouldnt want to cause any more problems than i fix.

Run a full quart in the tranny. This should help avoid the dreaded lock up. Run the recommended amount in the crank case. Be sure and change them both often. Oil is cheap. Shell Rotella 15w40 is an excellent choice. About $8.00 a gallon at wallmart.

DO NOT trust that oil level check hole!!! Just put the recommended amount in the tranny and change it frequently. The oil level check hole has been in the wrong place since the 02 CRF450R and I never heard about it being fixed at all, on either the X or the R. Another good thing is to buy a Scott's steel oil filter (cleanable) and run that. It'll pay for itself after a few oil changes (which is the best way to keep that new engine in good shape). My local dealer doesn't recommend Rotella in the tranny because of the gears (might tear up the oil molecules and reduce lubrication). I use Honda's GN4 oil in both the crankcase and tranny.

I have a 2005 CRF450X that I picked up from Apex as well after selling my XR400.

The bike is great for riding in CO... it will need a little tuning and some aftermarket bling. Do yourself a favor and get the JD Jetting kit for it.

I'm in the Springs area... where are you ?

DO NOT trust that oil level check hole!!! Just put the recommended amount in the tranny and change it frequently. The oil level check hole has been in the wrong place since the 02 CRF450R and I never heard about it being fixed at all, on either the X or the R. Another good thing is to buy a Scott's steel oil filter (cleanable) and run that. It'll pay for itself after a few oil changes (which is the best way to keep that new engine in good shape). My local dealer doesn't recommend Rotella in the tranny because of the gears (might tear up the oil molecules and reduce lubrication). I use Honda's GN4 oil in both the crankcase and tranny.

Actually Rotella holds up longer (does not shear out of spec) than most every other oil, including the synthetics. I recommend that you check out some of the past threads regarding oils on the CRF 450R forum. Several of the guys there have been involved in building racing machines for decades. They have tested many oils and sent their used samples to the lab for testing. I believe you will find their observations and advice quite enlightening.

Actually Rotella holds up longer (does not shear out of spec) than most every other oil, including the synthetics. I recommend that you check out some of the past threads regarding oils on the CRF 450R forum. Several of the guys there have been involved in building racing machines for decades. They have tested many oils and sent their used samples to the lab for testing. I believe you will find their observations and advice quite enlightening.

Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely check it out.

I have a 2005 CRF450X that I picked up from Apex as well after selling my XR400.

The bike is great for riding in CO... it will need a little tuning and some aftermarket bling. Do yourself a favor and get the JD Jetting kit for it.

I'm in the Springs area... where are you ?

i live in the springs. fortunatly i am an insurance agent so being self employed i can take time off during the week if the weather is nice. i usually ride in woodland park.

speaking of tuning i have a question. the bike seems to cut out or stumble at about 9500 rpm my tach showed max rpm of 9450. what is the rev limiter on this bike? i would suspect a considerable amount higher given the lightned piston and internals.

my friends crf250X revs considerably higher (by ear) with no problem. i am sure it needs jetting but if i could confirm the rev limiter it would help me determin if im hitting the rev limiter or have a fuel delevery problem.

i also found the suspention to be considerably harder than his 250X so we adjusted that and it feels a lot better now.

love the bike, have to respect the throttle though. its addicting as hell.

Anyone else have the trail tech vapor, im thinking about getting one, they seem really good for the price.

highly reccommend it. easy to install and works like a champ. i like being able to see the temp on the bike. today it got to about 205 degrees but most of the time when im riding it especially with a cool breeze it stayed between 155 and 165 degrees.