Sign in to follow this  

How do i get the top spring off a dual rate rear shock?

I have a dual rate rear shock. its a stock xr400 rear shock rebuilt into a race shock. Its now dual rate instead of single.

Their is a black spacer thing that is between the two springs. I can remove the big spring but the small spring is above the spacer and the spacer is a little to skinny to fit over the bottom of the shock so it wont come off and that meens i cant get the small spring off.

How do i do it?

I want to do it so i can mod the pre load rings for a lower ride hight.

Sounds to me like the spring was assembled onto the shock during assmbley of the piston into the shock body. So short of pulling the shock apart...dont know...unless you can pull the clevis off the shock shaft without impacting the charge on the shock, and I dont think you get that option on that shock.

well i was wondering. could i just cut 1 coil off the top small skinny spring to lower the ride hight??? it dont seem like it would cause any proublmes. would it?

well i was wondering. could i just cut 1 coil off the top small skinny spring to lower the ride hight??? it dont seem like it would cause any proublmes. would it?

It would increase the rate of that spring, perhaps cause coil bind and not do anything to lower ride height.

Other than that, no, no problems.

:thumbsup:

I have a dual rate rear shock. its a stock xr400 rear shock rebuilt into a race shock. Its now dual rate instead of single.

Their is a black spacer thing that is between the two springs. I can remove the big spring but the small spring is above the spacer and the spacer is a little to skinny to fit over the bottom of the shock so it wont come off and that meens i cant get the small spring off.

How do i do it?

I want to do it so i can mod the pre load rings for a lower ride hight.

5 Star

It may help to send a pic for us to look at. Then maybe we can assist you from getting the torches out.