Sign in to follow this  

2006 YZ450F Fork Oil Questions ASAP!!

Im changing my fork seals, bushings, and dust seals in my Forks on my 2006 YZ450F but I was wondering what fork oil I should run? Should I stay with the stock Yamaha fork oil and if so what kind exactly is it thats in the bike stock and how much does each fork leg take of oil. What kind of fork oil should I run what do you guys like best, stay with stock yamaha, go with maxima, belray what? If go with something else what weight oil should I get, whats the stock weight?

Thanks a lot!

I would use Motorex 5w in the damper and Mobil1 ATF in the spring chamber. There is a special procedure to bleed the damper properly. Is it the first time you are working on a twin chamber fork?

Tried lots of brands and the Torco RFF 5wt is the best.
I'd like to hear about the reasons behind that bold statement.

The stock Yamaha fork oil is 5 Weight? I liked the stock oil it felt good but I want to go maxima because I love there products. So I would go with the Maxima 5W Fork Oil?

Thanks

I have done some tests with different fork oils and would rate KYB 01 as 3.5 weight. but this is not 100% significant due to a oil temperature of 20°C at testing.

So if I go to get the fork oil and they dont have the stock yamaha stuff what will be closest to what that is? Like belray 5w fork oil? I kno my shop has a lot of belray products I don't know if we have the yamaha fork oil in stock though.

Like I said originally, any 5wt fork oil will be fine. If you can get BelRey easily get it. I can almost guarantee you, you wont be able to feel the difference between 3.5 wt and 5 wt. fork oil.

For what its worth RG3 uses Torco. Enzo uses KYB stuff because he's (Ross) KYB clear to the bone.

Save yourself some money and run Mobile 1 ATF. I am willing to bet you would'nt be able to tell the difference between Yammie, belray, AFT or whatever. I have run stock fluid, Amsoil, Belray and ATF and noticed no difference except for the amount left in my wallet.