Sign in to follow this  

michigan title color

Hi I got a 93 xr600, bought in MI. I live in Wis. I'm trying to plate the bike, but so far no go. The title I got with the bike is green. Are all MI cycle titles green ? or does that indicate an off road motorcycle? The bike was not plated in MI. thanks

My previous MI title before it was plated was green with a statement saying "ORV not to be registered for highway use" located in the middle under the state seal. My new MI title after it was plated was green but the ORV statement was removed and the vehicle type (right corner) says motorcycle.

thanks guys, title says nuttin' about orv or not highway, so I hope I am good to go. Prob head to dmv today or tomorrow. I let you all know how it goes. I got my fingers crossed.

SUCCESS! I just got back from dmv with my new title and plate! YAHOOOO! thanks for the replies everyone.

I'm glad everything went well with the WI DMV. It sounded like the previous owner had a Michigan street title. Even with it, you can get hassled by those DMV folks. Congrats!

Just got my XR plated in Michigan after lots of DMV hassles. My local office insisted my title needed to have 'assembled' status because I added a headlight. I was livid and protested, and the investigative division took 5 weeks to return a determination that my local branch was wrong and a street title was warranted.

Michigan is known as an accepting state for titling off-road bikes. I have friends who live in Wisconsin but buy their used bikes here for just the reason you discovered. Get the title in Michigan, then transfer it to a neighboring state.

Just got my XR plated in Michigan after lots of DMV hassles. My local office insisted my title needed to have 'assembled' status because I added a headlight. I was livid and protested, and the investigative division took 5 weeks to return a determination that my local branch was wrong and a street title was warranted.

Man that sounds like quite the hassle. All I have ever had to do is:

1. Get the green inspection form from the SOS.

2. Have a police officer come out and inspect the bike (call 911 and they will send one over, yes I was told to do this as the 911 is the dispatcher) for all the street legal gear which in Michigan is

a. HI/LO beam headlight

b. Mirror

c. Horn

d. Tailight/brake light

e. DOT tires

3. Get insurance for bike thru www.bike-line.com ($58 a year to insure my YZ400 and CRF250X with plpd) :ride:

4. Take insurance, title, and signed green inspection form to SOS. Tell them that it cannot be done online and must be done offline.

5. Sign a piece of paper stating that all the parts that you needed for the conversion to street legal were just stuff you had lying around/took off another bike and didn't cost you anything (that way you dont have to pay extra tax on it)

6. Stand there and smile while they process it all and hand you a shinny new plate and registration :thumbsup:

And if you know someone that is a cop or just have a ignorant cop inspect your bike you can sometimes get away without the hi/lo beam and dot tires. But they usualy check for lights, mirror, and horn.